|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Star Strike is one of the last FMV games for the Sega CD by Sony Imagesoft. The pending release in late 1995 was canceled due to the demise of the system only for the game to get picked up 5 years later by Good Deal Games who released it under their own name primarily targeted at retro enthusiasts.
You play as Trace, a rookie pilot who must defend Earth against the Protoids, a race of evil brain-eating aliens. His quest will take him to the farthest reaches of space, where everything looks the same and joystick wiggling is mandatory each time an enemy ship is shot down.
Recently, the game was MSTed by Retsupurae. If you've got an hour to kill, it's definitely worth watching.
This work contains examples of:
- A Space Marine Is You
- Asteroid Thicket
- Brain Food
- Disproportionate Retribution: The Protoid leader swears to exterminate humanity after a captive escapes, denying it a meal.
- Flipping the Bird: A variation. Captain Rammer swings his hand from under his chin as a big "fuck you" to the Protoids after his hilariously chaotic escape.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- The Future
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Pete of Warehouse 13 plays a pilot who you may call "Snoopy", if you survive your first mission.
- Hyperspace Is a Scary Place
- Large Ham: The Admiral In Spades. And Also to a lesser degree the Commander.
- Off-the-Shelf FX
- Rail Shooter
- Spaceship Girl
- Stock Footage: For every enemy ship that is destroyed, the gameplay stops so you can see: Your ship's lasers firing, the enemy pilot reacting, his fighter exploding, your fighter's AI/wingmen congratulating you, ...joystick waggling, and your wingmen giving you a command, before gameplay finally resumes. Every. Single. Time.
- Stupid Joystick-Waggle Dance Mix: With all the stupid statements made throughout the game, the rave lasers and infamous joystick-waggling footage were what made it into this video. Considering they get the grand majority of screen time, this is not without justification.
- Would Be Rude to Say Genocide: Type A after every single level.