|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Star Kid an independent science fantasy-family film from 1997, written and directed by Manny Coto.
Spencer Griffith is a normal kid who found an alien spacesuit lying in a crater in his hometown. Spencer crawled into it and got stuck inside. He soon found himself speaking to an alien A.I., transforming into an advanced tech version of a Super Soldier, and being whisked away to save the universe from ugly, evil aliens.
Unlike most kid heroes, Spencer never Jumped At the Call; he got shoved.
Not to be confused with Team Starkid.
- Abusive Parents: Arguably with Spencer's dad Roland. He tries to be a good father, but he's too busy with his work. He scolds his son for not waiting for him to pick him up from school, even though he's late.
- Turbo's dad blames him for what Spencer/Cy did.
- Adaptive Armor: The suit can create a cannon, a shield and who knows what else.
- Artifact of Doom: If Cy fell into the wrong hands, he would become this.
- Bizarre Alien Biology
- Calling Your Attacks: In this case, calling "code words" to make sure Cy doesn't blow up any innocent bystanders.
- Came From the Sky: How Spencer got Cy.
- Clingy MacGuffin: Cy the CyberSuit.
- Clothes Make the Superman: The combat suit again.
- Cool Teacher: Janet Holloway
- Crash-Course Landing
- Eureka Moment: The bully Turbo figured out it was Spencer inside the alien suit that threw him in the trash.
- Giant Space Flea From Nowhere: The Brood Warrior certainly gives that impression.
- Green Lantern Ring: Kinda, but not exactly the same situation.
- Heroic Host: Spencer and Cy, the suit's A.I.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Of the non-dying variety, but still a sacrifice. When Cy ejects Spencer just before his power runs down completely.
- How Do I Shot Web?
- Humanoid Aliens: The midget aliens who built Cy.
- Imported Alien Phlebotinum
- Mecha-Mooks: The creatures of the Brood Warrior army.
- Mechanical Lifeforms
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Near the end of the movie Trubo gets to squash the Brood Warrior in a trash compactor.
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Cy could occasionally be a little overzealous when using his weapons.
- Powered Armor: The suit
- Robot Names: Cy the CyberSuit, very original.
- Scary Dogmatic Aliens: The Brood Warrior.
- Secret Keeper: Turbo, about Spencer being a Superhero.
- Super Prototype: Cy is the first of his kind.
- Tastes Like Friendship: Subverted. Cy takes a hamburger, and then takes out all the good stuff! He thus turns it into a ball of beef-like eck!
- This Is Gonna Suck
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World
- Wave Motion Gun
- You Gotta Believe Me: Spencer's teacher told Roland about his son and Cy, but he doesn't believe her and argues with her. Spencer returned home and confirmed everything (including the coming of the Brood Warriors), but he just tells him to go to his room. He then shouted when Spencer starts to argue. He did manage to see the spaceship of Cy's creators as it took off.