|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A squee is the sound made by excited fangirls (or fanboys). The exact nature of what makes someone squee depends on the type of fan. Shippers squee when something happens with their favourite pairing. Comics fans when they get a new comic or model. Video Game fans squee at the announcement of a game in their favourite series. It can even be caused by meeting a favourite actor, actress, or other celebrity.
In writing, it is often followed immediately by the emote *dies*, to imply that the user in question has suddenly fainted from euphoric overload. In Japanese, "Squee!" often translates to "Kyaa!".
Most likely a mutation of or derivation from "squeal". Possibly a Portmanteau of "squeal" and "glee". Any resemblance to Squick is (mostly) purely coincidental. Although, it is important to note that one person's Squee can be another person's Squick.
Note: This page is for In-Universe examples only.
Anime and Manga
- This is the standard, frequently-used reaction to the female customers whenever the main characters entertain them in Ouran High School Host Club. In episode 23, the eponymous club's female patrons unleash mass quantities of Squee when they see the innocent Haruhi acting friendly with the Jerk with a Heart of Gold Casanoda. Of course, since the girls don't know the truth about Haruhi, they assume the whole thing is ripe with Ho Yay.
- Kaorin from Azumanga Daioh, regarding Miss Sakaki.
- Sakaki, regarding cats. When she's first approached by Yamamaya, she squees so hard she starts to lag.
- In the fourth episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha As, Nanoha's classmates give a slightly subdued squee when Fate is introduced. Perhaps Fate is just a Squee-Magnet...
- In the english translation of the Strawberry Panic manga, Shizuma's fangirls react to her by going literal "Squee".
- In Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Judai summons his Winged Kuriboh in a public match and the female half of the audience immediately starts fawning over the cute lil' fuzzball.
- The female audience does this again when Judai pours a bag of fleas down a guy's pants, forcing him to discard them.
- Another non-erotic example: Binbou Shimai Monogatari appears to be constructed around the squee-laden interaction between the two sisters Kyou and Asu.
- in Kamichu!, Yurie's schoolmates watch and squee their heads off when she finally tells her love interest how she feels for him. To be fair, the whole school has worked darned hard to help her make this happen, since Yurie is one hell of a shy god.
- Rena from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni does this whenever she sees something she perceives as "cute". Hauu~
- In a later arc...
Miyo: "Ni... NIPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"
- Used, and not in a good way in School Mermaid by the eponymous mermaids. Not out of joy. It's all they can say. The effect is absolutely disturbing, considering their faces always have the same blank, eerie smile on them. Only when the 'O' mermaid gets stabbed in the arm, and, a few moments later, beaten to death with a crowbar, does her expression change.
- Fullmetal Alchemist's Winry in response to the automail center of the universe.
- K-On! leader Ritsu does a high-pitched squee twice in the first episode, when the other two main characters join her club.
- The other students in the main characters' class squee over Mio being voted into the role of [[[Romeo and Juliet]] Romeo]] (by a huge margin, naturally).
- Mahou Sensei Negima: The entire class does this when introduced to their 10-year-old teacher.
- In a recent episode of Team Four Star's Dragonball Z Abridged, King Kai describes to Goku how crazy-powerful Frieza is, culminating with Goku letting out a very excited 'Eeeeeee...!'
- When Haruhi sees Santa (well, actually Taniguchi dressed as Santa), her squee results in a Distant Reaction Shot showing entire galaxies.
- In Infinite Stratos anime, this trope described the formerly-all-girls-school students' reaction when they saw Ichika Orimura (their first male student) holding the hand of Charles Dunois (they were hurrying to the gym changing room) perfectly.
- Usopp and Chopper do this when they see Franky's features after the timeskip.
- Inami from Working has a moment when she finds out that Souta doesn't use his self defense on her because it hurts (She thinks he doesn't want to hurt her)
- In Mayo Chiki, Usami does this very briefly after eating an octopus ball at the school festival in episode 6.
- The schoolgirls often do this as well anytime Subaru is around.
- In Bodacious Space Pirates the members of the Space Yacht Club all Squee in unison when Lynn and Jenny have their Big Damn Kiss on board the Bentenmaru.
- Todd "Squee" Casil of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac made the sound in question whenever he was terrified. Which was often.
- Nny himself squees while in Heaven upon finding out he now has the power to make people's heads explode.
- In Dark Reign: Young Avengers, the eccentric superhero artist Coat of Arms squees when she realizes that she's in the same room with Norman Osborn.
- Ironfist from Transformers Last Stand of the Wreckers is an Ascended Fanboy and Audience Surrogate, as well as being very sympathetic and very cutely drawn. This led to a fan-made image of Ironfist shouting "SQUEE!" in fanboyish glee, which co-author and artist Nick Roche referenced in this image on his blog.
- Deadpool unleashes a giant "FANBOY SQUEEEEEE!" upon realizing that he's getting the crap beaten out of him by The Mighty Thor.
- In the Official Fanfiction University of MREDURE, it is established that in any continuum where "squee" is a noun, squeeing produces human-sized versions of whatever or whoever a squee is that glomp the squee-er and vanish.
- This sounds a lot like how Drowtales said chibis are formed...
- In this fanfic, which parodies Sues and Fangirls, Fangirls not only Squee on a regular basis, but the herds they travel in are also called Squees.
- DC Nation universe example: Green Shield AND Speedy both do this after Mia dishes that Connor finally worked up the nerve to kiss Mia with no major angst or world-destroying crap over their heads. Made funnier by how much of a Snark Knight Shield usually is.
- In the Neon Genesis Evangelion fic Nobody Dies, Rei is prone to these. Maya does it somewhat often, usually involving Ritsuko. And after the main cast briefly visit the Canon!Eva verse, Canon!Rei picks this up (albeit subdued) from her counterpart.
- In Kyon: Big Damn Hero Mikuru does this after seeing a picture of Kyon in an apron.
- Deadpool actually says "FANBOY SQUEE!" in one issue of Deadpool Team-Up when he realized he would be getting to team up with The Mighty Thor.
- In Loathing, Yaoi Fangirl Alyssa is very happy upon walking in on Kurt and Dave kissing.
Alyssa: Ohmigod, ohmigod, I'm so sorry I just walked in like that, but I wanted to surprise Kurt with an early Christmas present, and – and… Oh my God, I just can't – I mean, Kurt sometimes talks about a boyfriend, but he never mentions who or where the guy attends and, and…! Oh. My. God! Eeek, I'm so happy! Seriously, you don't know how happy you two just made me. Kurt, don't even get me anything for Christmas, okay? Like, seriously. The mental image of you two kissing has been forever photographed into my memory, and it's like crack to me.
- In the Soul Eater fic Noir Ange Liz and Patty exchange "Squees and Kawaiis" over what Kid writes in his Diary about Crona.
- A fangirl not only goes Squee but faints in Galaxy Quest when Jason kisses Gwen, implying their Galaxy Quest characters are romantically involved, and that fan's ship is now Canon.
- A Hard Day's Night has examples of Squee in the film itself, most likely inspired by Real Life. Hilarity Ensues.
- Zombieland: Tallahassee's reaction to BILL-FUCKIN-MURRAY!
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: Knives Chau's reaction toward Scott and his band screams this.
- O Brother, Where Art Thou?: The Soggy Bottom Boys' impromptu appearance at the Stokes campaign dinner leads to a roomfull of squee.
- Cher Horowitz squee'd at least once in Clueless.
- Time Scout:
- When Kit and Malcolm take Margo shopping in preparation for her trip to London. She goes catnip crazy for the fancy clothes.
- While investigating Jack the Ripper's occult connections, the Ripper Watch Team runs into Malcolm's favorite poet, William Butler Yeats. He can barely restrain from soiling himself.
Live Action TV
- Doctor Who
The Doctor: Come on, we can all have a good flirt later.
Shakespeare: Is that a promise, Doctor?
The Doctor: Oh, 57 academics just punched the air.
"You know... I loved being you. Back when I started at the beginning I was always trying to be old and important, like you do when you're young. And then I was you."
- In "Planet Of The Dead", Dr. Malcolm Taylor of UNIT has a complete squeeing Fan Boy crush on the Doctor, having read about him for years. The Doctor decides to just roll with it if it saves the day quicker.
- In series 6, the Eleventh Doctor is reduced to giddy incoherent squee noises when he finally finds out who River Song really is.
- At Comic-Con 2009, John Barrowman let out a positively ear-splitting one after David Tennant kissed him. Said squee was so loud it managed to be heard over the squees of most of the DW fanbase.
- Happened on Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Dawn squeed upon discovering that Willow and Tara were back together. She then retreated downstairs, leaving them alone.
- Earlier than that, Willow gave an unintelligble high-pitched squeal when Buffy's mother's paramour gave her computer upgrades for free, which Xander described as the sound she makes when she has a surge of geeker-joy.
- A great example from the Christmas-cookie episode of Good Eats:
Santa Claus: Two hours? In two hours I'll be three time zones from here! I don't have that kind of time! [touches nose, the lights flash]
Alton Brown: What was that?
SC: Localized temporal displacement...magic. It's now two hours later in your kitchen! Dough's ready!
AB: Is not. [pulls the dough out and checks it] It is! Santa really is magic! * squee*
- In Dollhouse, Bennett has a quiet moment like this when she learns she's about to meet Topher Brink, who she has a huge geek-crush on. Topher has this afterward regarding Bennett, when he calls up himself in Victor's body.
- Parker does this by name to The Mark as part of her Honey Trap in an episode of Leverage.
- Detective Kate Beckett becomes a fangirl when she meets Joe freaking Torre. She manages to keep the Squee out of her voice until Torre is away.
- In Season 4 Episode 2, a killer chops the "victim", who was in the early stages of raping a girl in an alley, in half vertically. The first shot Castle and Beckett see of the suspect from a security camera shows that he's wearing a superhero costume. Castle squees with delight all episode about chasing down a superhero.
- In Mad Men, Sally Draper's reaction to Don's birthday gift to her (tickets to a Beatles concert) is a classic tween-girl squee.
- Sarcastically invoked in an early Garfield, where Jon excitedly announces to a grumpy Garfield that he will be getting liver for dinner; Garfield (without changing his facial expression) responds with "Oh hooray, hop about, clap paws, squeal with glee."
- In 'The Answer' storyline from Persona 3: FES there's a flashback to Akihiko-senpai in junior high after winning a boxing match. When he brushes off a recruiter from another school his fangirls do this- "Squee!" is written in their dialogue.
- Merrill Squees at Donnick and Aveline in Dragon Age 2.
- In Hyrule Castle Town, Link in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has a trio of fangirls who hang outside Purlo's tent. If he wins the STARS minigame, they squee whenever he talks to them.
- In Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, when you feed a Hungry Luma to fullness, it lets out the most epic squee.
- In Fallout: New Vegas Veronica gives a squee if you give her a dress
- In the later Metroid games (that is, Fusion and anything newer), the eponymous Metroids say "Squee" with random intervals. In the Metroid Prime subseries, however, Metroids only scream "Squee!" when they're killed off (or accidentally commit suicide by touching walls covered in the highly radioactive Phazon).
- In Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, Sugar squees if you agree to go on a 'date' with her to a special place.
- Portal 2: "Space? Space! SPAAAAAAACE!"]]
- At E3 2004, this trailer caused just such a reaction. Here is the same moment captured from a different angle. WARNING: If you are using headphones, be very mindful of your volume setting.
- In The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim, you can bring the Elder Scroll required for the main quest to the orc loremaster at the College of Winterhold once said Scroll has expended its usefulness as a Plot Coupon. This is probably the first time in history you'll get to hear an orc squee.
- In Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo this happens whenever a crowd of girls witnesses a yuri act.
- The Nostalgia Critic finds himself cooing over the classic Sesame Street characters in Follow That Bird.
- When The Cinema Snob learned that the film he was watching starred Pierre Kirby (having thought he'd already seen every Kirby movie, as imdb didn't list this one), he emits the noise of a rubber duck being squeaked.
- Also of Channel Awesome, Jew Wario of You Can Play This is a grown man whose squee reaction to things such as cats is almost hilarious to behold.
- A non-erotic example of squee.
- A rare example of Fanboys doing this occurs when any Tifa fan watches the end (or general proceedings) of THIS
- Gaia Online's Rina does this a lot.
- Neurotically Yours actually had FOAMY, the biggest Jerk-Ass on the internet, do this and give his COFFEE BREWER a hug.
- BEHOLD! The Daily Squee. Now say goodbye to your efficiency.
- Spazz and Disneyworld in Project Million.
Spazz: Disneyworld? You mean the Disneyworld. The one that opened in 1971 housing the fourteen parks, home of the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcott, and Hollywood Studios? Why aren't we there now?!
- In the Siblings episode "Dog Daze of Boredom", Rob does it after Johny tells him "I think that school's warping your mind."
- A fictional example from Dominic Deegan.
- Rhoda's response to Diane's deductive powers in El Goonish Shive
- Actually used as a sound effect in Sluggy Freelance when Oasis falls in love with Torg.
- In this (and the following) Loserz strip(s).
- This Megatokyo page.
- A recent page of Sinfest had a demoness doing a squee upon learning the name of the quiet bookworm Criminy. She apparently became his Stalker with a Crush after he was nice to her.
- This strip from Penny Arcade provides the page picture. Note that they're responding to a trailer of Metroid by Team Ninja. They were not the only ones to react this way.
- Spoken in this Questionable Content strip.
Penelope: What the hell is going on?! There's like fifteen dogs outside trying to get in!
- Again, when Marten and Hanners walk in on Marigold.
- A Twilight fangirl squees at a vampire in this Dante Residential strip.
- Seventy Seas shows that pirate queens are not immune.
- Ctrl-Alt-Del: When Lilah got The Sims 3.
- This happens fairly regularly in the Insecticomics. Humans and Transformers alike are guilty of it. Blinky is especially noted for his tackle/squee moments.
- In this Shortpacked Ethan does this prompting Leslie to ask why it took Robin so long to figure out he's gay.
- Batman. That is all.
- One can hear a fangirl coming a mile away in And Shine Heaven Now because they do this. And the best way to get fangirls to let go of them is to make them squee so much that they faint from sheer joy. In fact, this happened six times in Shine:
- Year 1: having Alucard aim at Integra, making the fangirls rave about what the hell's going on and what the characters are thinking, all declaring "THIS IS SO COOL!"
- Year 2: Enrico pointing out that "A World Without Logos" can also be translated as "A World Without God", which is also relevant to Hellsing
- Year 4: Giving the fans autographs (and in the case of the Jackal fangirl, a bullet)
- Year 6: An epic battle between Alucard and Nina
- Year 7: The Genre Savvy Major giving a fanboy version of his infamous 'I Love War' Rousing Speech.
- Year 8: Jeeves insulting everyone's clothes. Apparently it was just so Jeeves everyone fangasmed.
- In The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob, this is Golly's reaction when the villain she's been crushing on takes a liking to her new doomsday device.
- Snaug has a rather... disturbing version of it here.
"EEEEE! We're going to win!"
- In Housepets Max and Grape convince a dog named Tarot to use her psychic abilities to essentially put them inside of the world of the Pridelands book series. Their response:
Max: Princess Illaya.
Grape: Lord Parnok.
- In Impure Blood, Genki Girl Mac goes Squee over -- the Abomination.
- In Nip and Tuck, denying the impact on your life is weakened when a fan girl goes squee over you.
- Cloud makes the readers of Sandra and Woo occasionally go "Aww!" (with lots of w's) when he's sweet to his girlfriend Sandra: "Awwwww...wwwww!!", "AWWWWW...WWWWW", "D’AAA...AAAWWW...WWW".
- From Sequential Art, Kat finds that getting your very first royalty cheque can have this effect.
- In a Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal strip, a recording of it is used as a torture method.
- Euryale of Wapsi Square is a bit of a Monica fangirl, so she naturally emits this sound.
- Nigel Uno from Codename: Kids Next Door when he finds out that Numbah 0 is his own dad.
- Dee Dee from Dexters Laboratory does this constantly.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender had some in-universe in the Beach Episode. Zuko takes off his shirt and the camera cuts straight to nearby bikini girls enjoying the view.
- When "Squee" has rabies, you get the Foaming-mouth Guy.
- American Dragon Jake Long: Haley went nuts over Pooka Pooka Fun Fun Farm, annoying her brother more than a little bit.
- Harley Quinn in this clip from Batman the Animated Series.
- And this clip too.
- Kristen and Kirsten from 6teen have a tendency to squee, to the annoyance of the anti-conformist Nikki who works at the Khaki Barn with them.
- Caitlin has had her moments, too.
- The eponymous character in the season three première of Ben 10: Alien Force did this when he saw that the Sumo Slammers were making a live-action movie, making for a spectacular moment.
- Happens in the first episode of Ren and Stimpy as Stimpy writes his poem for a contest.
- It stays crunchy even in milk!
- In the Futurama episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before", Fry let out a squee when he gets Walter Koenig to use his Russian accent.
- The Professor also lets one out upon learning that Animatronio knew Leonardo da Vinci.
- Waffle in Catscratch does this. Often. He is easily excited.
- Bobby does this once in King of the Hill when Hank tells him he is allowed to continue growing roses as a hobby.
- Ned Flanders loves purple drapes.
- Mystique Sonia from Hero 108 fits into this trope nicely. She's just a fangirl of cute things, from bunnies to flowers.
- Katie and Sadie of Total Drama Island are infamous for this, and Sierra's known to do so as well.
- My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: Rainbow Dash squees over getting to hang out with the Wonderbolts in "The Best Night Ever".
- Francine from American Dad is prone to doing this. Just one example is when she becomes a Back-Alley Doctor and has a teddy bear as her assistant.
Dr. Bearington will assist. By being so snuggly!
- Candance and Stacy from Phineas and Ferb have been known to do this sometimes.
- Irving, Phineas and Ferb's biggest fan, has this reaction when he hears Phineas use his catchphrase.
- “EEEEEEEE!!! Whistled James.”