The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Basic Trope: Upon hearing something shocking, a person messily spits out what they were drinking.
- Straight: Upon hearing that his father was a feared demonic prince, a character spews out the coffee he was drinking.
- Exaggerated: Upon hearing his father has a gray hair, a character sprays out his drink. Alternately, the character spews drink out of his mouth, his nose, and his eyes.
- A character, upon being shocked, starts spitting his drink. Even though he wasn't drinking anything.
- Alternately, the character does a spit take involving more of the liquid than has actually been imbibed.
- Justified: Truth in Television, and a staple of physical comedy.
- Inverted: Upon hearing his father was a feared demonic prince, a character nearly chokes to death on his coffee.
- A character, upon hearing something shocking, takes a deep swig of whatever he was drinking.
- Subverted: A character is drinking coffee when someone tells him something extraordinary. He starts to react, then calmly continues drinking.
- Double Subverted: ...until the last fact is mention, which either makes the whole thing much more important, or would seem like the least shocking part of it.
- Parodied: The character's spit take hits everyone in the room, staining their very nice clothes. Alternately, the character takes a drink just for this purpose, after hearing the news.
- Deconstructed: The character's indiscretion earns him a Death Glare from everyone who was in the line of fire, and the conversation is derailed for a few minutes as he cleans up after himself.
- Reconstructed: ???
- Zig Zagged: Something shocking is said to an entire group of characters drinking. Some react with a spit-take, some take a sharp swallow, some do neither.
- Averted: A character receiving shocking news while taking a drink does not spit any of it out.
- Enforced: "So I told our actor about his bonus, and he did an honest to God spit take! It was hilarious! I say we work it in."
- Lampshaded: "I should have waited until you swallowed that drink... this was a new coat."
- Invoked: "Wait, wait, let him get a sip of that before you tell him... it'll be hilarious!"
- Defied: "I need to tell you something that might upset you..." "Wait, let me put this cup down."
- Discussed: "Yeah, I'd say that's the sort of news might cause someone's drink to go flying out their mouths."
- Conversed: "Funny as it is, I don't think I've ever really seen anyone do a spit take in the real world."
(spits out drink) You want to go back to Spit Take!?
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.