First founded in 1988 by Motoyoshi Tokunaga with Walt Disney Animation Japan, Spectrum was Disney Japan's non Disney based unit (the studios shared 20-30% of their staff), the studio is known for having spectacularly gorgeous animation (like TMS and Disney Japan) and working on 9 episodes of Batman the Animated Series plus the associated films Mask Of The Phantasm and Sub Zero. The studio also worked on other productions as well, but went out of business in 1998 as they were failing to compete in the anime market (They only did three, with other studios to boot, but they did do some cut scenes for some PC-FX and PS 1 games), after that most of their staff (like the ones that were not based through Disney Japan like Sabaro Hashimoto (who is now a arts teacher) and Kazuyoshi Takeuchi (who now works for The Answer Studio)) went to Production I.G.
Productions by Spectrum.
- Captain N: The Game Master: First project, served as supervisor only (Actual animation produced by Plus One Animation and Sei Young).
- Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas: Along with other studios.
- The Real History Of Humpty Dumpty
- Madeline: Four Specials, Madeline in London, Madeline's Rescue, Madeline's Christmas and Madeline and the Bad Hat.
- Reporter Blues: Animation Cooperation for TMS.
- Batman the Animated Series: The studio's biggest production, 9 episodes (with 1 episode done with Studio Dust Beware The Gray Ghost), other episodes are done by TMS Entertainment, Sunrise, Studio Junio, NOA Animation (layouts for 2 episodes for Dong Yang and AKOM each), Koko Enterprises/Dong Yang, AKOM, Jade Animation and Lapiz Azul (aka Blue Pencil)
- Defenders of Dynatron City
- A Bunch Of Munsch
- Bill and Teds Excellent Adventures: Supervising for Korean studios.
- Animaniacs: Ink and Paint for TMS for 3 episodes Les Miseranimals, Pavlov's Mice (both by Yuichiro Yano) and Hisao Yokobori's Wild Blue Yonder, Animation Cooperation for the later.
- Soccer Fever: Animation Cooperation for TMS.
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: done with Koko/Dong Yang.
- Twinbee (1994 OVA): led by AIC.
- Crime Crackers: Cutscenes.
- Crime Crackers 2: Last known production done in-house, Cutscenes.
- Batman and Mister Freeze Sub Zero: Last production, done with Koko/Dong Yang.
Tropes associated with Spectrum.
- Animation Bump: Arguably one of the best studios ever established, until they went out of business.
- Off-Model: Despite their quality, they do slip up on the rare occasion.