|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Described by the developers as 'A sim with a real personality!', Space Colony is a simulation game developed by Firefly Studios that places you in charge of a small space colony (fancy that) on an isolated planet, where you gather, process, and sell resources, complete missions, keep your colonists happy, and deal with whatever crises pop up. Best described as a fusion of Stronghold and The Sims.
Gameplay involves placing structures such as mining facilities, assigning tasks to colonists, and then making sure they carry out those tasks properly. You also have to take care of the needs and wants of your colonists, buy and sell resources, furnish the interiors of the biodomes your colonists inhabit, and manage the colony's defence if/when necessary. Eventually, you will have to deal with tourists as well. There are two campaigns in story mode, one military-focused and one civilian-focused, as well as single missions, a freeplay mode, and robust map and campaign editors.
The game has a fansite here with a demo download and lots of game info.
Your crew of social misfits are:
- Venus Jones - Only Sane Woman. The least dysfunctional person on the crew (relatively speaking), and the main character in the campaign.
- Tami La Belle - Alcoholic slacker.
- Dean Jefferson Brown - medical student, obsessed with cleanliness.
- Barbara Leechworth - Old, cantankerous Corrupt Corporate Executive.
- Daisy Willowreed - Granola Girl.
- Billy-Bob Perkins - Friendly but dumb former chicken farmer.
- Greg Chesterton - Egotistical sexist jerk.
- Candy Simspons - Dumb Blonde shopaholic.
- Stig Svensson - Norwegian biker.
- Babette Devereux - Rich Bitch. Utterly and hilariously useless.
- Hoshi and Kita
- 'Nailer' McBride - Violent Glaswegian football fan/convicted murderer.
- Capt. Charles Worthington - Stereotypical Officer and a Gentleman type guy.
- Nikolai Volkov - Ukrainian scientist.
- Ashia Green - Former athlete obsessed with fitness.
- Vasilios Cosmos - Emotionless Guy, keeps going on about the stars.
- Bhoomi Sharma - Elderly lady from India.
- Mr Zhang - Cool Old Guy. The only cybernetics expert in the game; can build androids and such.
- 'Slim' - Spoiled 15-year-old skater punk who was abandoned by his parents for being annoying.
- Artificial Stupidity: Stop letting the air run out!
- Stop letting the colony's batteries drain!
- Stop walking out into the crossfire during firefights!
- Why are you parking the mining dozer in the mess hall?
- Badass Biker: Stig Svensson
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Big ants that will you eat your food, among other things.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Barbara Leechworth, one of your colonists, and 'Mr. Waterhouse', the generally unpleasant CEO of your company (although he has his moments).
- To the point in the Demo you have to build an android to defuse a bomb that would destroy the entire colony. Why? Because it's cheaper then evacuation the colony.
- Crazy Awesome Nailer is absolutely batshit insane. He's also hilarious, and is arguably one of the more useful colonists in the game (when he's not getting wasted at the bar or randomly experiencing bouts of mental instability).
- Death Is Cheap: Well, expensive, anyway (as you boss keeps reminding you), but nevertheless it's possible to resurrect deceased colonists.
- And that's only on site. They come back for the main mission, provided a fail objective isn't that you have to keep everyone alive.
- Dumb Blonde: Like, Candy!
- Dysfunction Junction: With the possible exception of Venus, everyone has some kind of problem or quirk or flaw or dark secret.
- Earth-That-Was: In the game's backstory, humanity abandoned Earth due to resource depletion and severe overcrowding and now lives mostly in space, except for a subculture of so-called 'Landers' that colonize isolated planets. The Landers generally come from the absolute dregs of human society, and you play as the leader of a group of them.
- Humanity has only done this recently since everyone's background says they're from a country on Earth.
- Future Food Is Artificial: your colonists main food
- G-Rated Sex: A quickie under the covers.
- Kill It with Fire: A rather severe way of dealing with the weed problem.
- Neat Freak: Dean.
- Neural Implanting: Tired of waiting for your workers to learn? Use the Training Pod to download the info into their heads.
- Nobody Poops: Every bathroom-related need - showering, going to the toilet, shaving, whatever - is abstracted into a single 'hygiene' need bar.
- Planet Looters: Humanity.
- Planet of Hats: Averted with the Fribulans. Although they're generally hostile to you, non-hostile groups can be encountered.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Hoo boy...
- Surrounded by Idiots and slackers and egomanics and hypochondriacs and so on..
- Violent Glaswegian: Nailer again.