|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Once upon a time, there was a rich and wealthy man named Mr. Karamazout, an inventor who has no wife and no children. Until, he had an idea: creating his own daughter. He went to his lab and using a mixture of sugar, spice, and everything nice, the ingredients to create a little girl. And finally... the fearless and bravest urban girl is born! She likes having fun and fighting crime and the forces of evil! It so happens that she is the mightiest, toughest and richest little girl who lived in the big city! It's the incredible, colossal adventures of Sophie, the most famous city girl in the world!!!
Sophie (aka The Incredible, Colossal Adventures of Sophie the Most Famous City Girl in the World for the English adaptation) Belgian comic book series by cartoonist Jean De Mesmaeker (aka Jidéhem) that started in the 1960s.
The series features Sophie, an eleven year old dark-haired girl, created by her father Mr. Karamazout after the famous English saying where girls are made of: “Sugar and spice and everything nice”. She wears her long hair in two pigtails and she has an extensive wardrobe. Unlike many comic characters Sophie almost never wears the same outfit. Other characters are Mr. Karamazout, the father and creator of Sophie and electrical engineer by profession. Sophie's best friend was Starter a mechanic, he also tests vehicles for Spirou. Pipette, the best friend of Starter, is also working for Spirou as a tester. Joseph is Sophie's butler, he cooks and maintains the house. Bernard is one of Sophie's best friends. Zoë, a black old-timer equipped with an electronic brain by its creator Mr. Buis.
In 1957, Jidéhem was given the car section of Spirou so he created Starter. Starter was also the main character of Jidéhems first own comic series with two short stories, "La révolte des autos" (1959) and "Histoire de l'automobile" (1960) in Spirou. The first full story "Starter contre les casseurs" was published in Spirou in 1961. This was followed by "La maison d'en face" published in Spirou in 1963.
Jidéhem wanted to introduce a female main character in Spirou, his first sketches of a sexy 17- to 18-year-old girl were not accepted by publisher Dupuis. But, Dupuis was convinced that a female protagonist would not appeal to the Spirou readers. Jidéhem did get permission to draw a little girl to play as a secondary role in his stories. He called the girl Sophie Karamazout. Her first name he borrowed from the French actress Sophie Desmarets. The original French name Karamazout is referring to The Brothers Karamazov by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Jidéhem's own newborn daughter was also named Sophie. Sophie would initially play only in one story, "L'Œuf de Karamazout" (1964), but the character finally became far more popular than Starter.
This work provides examples of:
- Action Girl
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Artificial Human: It explained that Sophie was created by her rich father, Mr. Karamazout in his laboratory. She is made of sugar, spice and everything nice.
- Badass Adorable
- Cheerful Child
- City Mouse: Sophie is officially considered "the most famous city girl in the world".
- Completely Different Title: This series was originally titled Sophie in Belgian. In German, Sophie is renamed Die lustige Lilli ("The Funny Lily"). In the English-speaking countries (especially in the USA), the series was officially renamed The Incredible, Colossal Adventures of Sophie the Most Famous City Girl in the World.
- Cute Bruiser
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Genki Girl
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Predictably, the English adaption of the series was lot more popular in America rather than Europe.
- Girliness Upgrade: Despite being tomboyish, Sophie Karamazout is a cute, sweet, gentle and girly one.
- Girly Bruiser
- Go-Getter Girl
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Sophie and Starter
- Memetic Outfit: Sophie's signature beautiful summer outfit, that includes a straw hat with a ribbion, a little white dress with puffed sleeves and a ribbion, white bloomers, white tight stockings and black shoes. See the picture above.
- Her summer dress is much more iconic than her other outfits.
- One of the Boys: Sophie always loves hanging out with boys.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Despite being the smallest girl, she fights crime as she battling villains.
- Proper Lady: Sophie is really lady-like.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Pipette and Sophie Karamazout
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: A young tomboy, Sophie reveals she had a girly side.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Sophie had her largest wardrobe.