|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Sonic Lost World is the latest game in the (Main) Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, exclusive to the Wii U and 3DS (which are quite different games on each system).
Sonic ends up landing on the artificial-looking planetoid Lost Hex after an unsuccesful dogfight with Dr. Robotnik. There, he encounters a group of six hooligans called the Deadly Six, hired by Dr. Robotnik. When Sonic accidentally removes the Cacophonic Conch from Robotnik's control, the Deadly Six turn against Eggman and he is forced to work together with Sonic.
The game features a simplified art style, great enemy variety, and Super Mario Galaxy-esque level design, as well as the new Parkour moves for Sonic. However, the game was scathed for the childish story, tepid controls, and lack of playable characters others than Sonic, and ended up bombing.
The game contains examples of
- A Day At the Bizarro: Some level designs, like Dessert Ruins 3, make little to no sense whatsoever (floating donuts in a pink void?). And then there's the DLC...
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Zavok grows to mega-size for the final fight.
- Beware the Silly Ones: The Deadly Six battles can get very difficult. In story, Zavok is the only one who really proves all that dangerous. He drains the world near the end to gain power for a size change.
- Black Comedy
- BLAM Game: Some levels are even individual Big Lipped Alligator Moments in and of themselves.
- Bonus Stage: Several, contained in circus tents.
- Boss Rush: Near the end, all of the Deadly Six go after you for a battle royale, one by one.
- Bouncing Battler: Sonic regains the bounce ability from Adventure 2.
- Butt Monkey: Eggman and Knuckles.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Eggman apparently has this.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Gee, Sonic's planet sure seems uninhabited... All we see are Amy and a weirdly out-of-character Knuckles. This takes the impact out of The Deadly Six draining this planet.
- Darker and Edgier: This game has some of the darkest humor in the entire franchise, and later, the game takes on a hint of seriousness unseen in Colors.
- Demoted to Extra: Poor Knuckles...
- Denser and Wackier
- Dwindling Party the supporting cast vanishes over time. This also applies to the villains at the end.
- Eldritch Location: Hidden World might be one. The surreal landscape is constantly pulsating, there's horrific creatures that look rather like Pac-Man trapped in bubbles, and nothing there makes sense.
- Enemy Mine: Sonic and Eggman. It doesn't last Surprisingly, this alliance forms pretty early, rather than when things get really dangerous.
- Evil Versus Evil: Eggman against the equally delightfully evil Deadly Six.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Subverted. Sonic attacks the Cacophonic Conch to free the Deadly Six, whom he thinks may turn against Eggman and join him (as usual). It turns out that they do betray the doctor, but are just as bad as he is.
- Giant Space Flea From Nowhere: In Hidden World Act 4
- Gimmick Level: They outnumber the normal ones.
- Hailfire Peaks: Many levels start as one archetype, but completely change to another. For example, Windy Hill is largely a Green Hill Zone but Act 3 is Dug Too Deep.
- Harmless Villain: Most of the Deadly Six.
- Hub Level: A very unconventional cross between this and World Map, set up much like a board game.
- Idiot Plot
- Invincible Minor Minion: Surprise Crocodile, among others.
- Lighter and Softer: The art style, to the point of borderlining on Tastes Like Diabetes.
- Mission Control: Amy is basically this.
- Oddball in the Series
- One-Winged Angel Subverted. Zavok only increases in size and proves to be just as easy to defeat.
- Our Ogres Are Hungrier: The Deadly Six (based on Oni), have cloven hooves (which are laid plantigrade), horns, and apparently like to eat outsiders.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Deadly Six are somewhere between this and Goldfish Poop Gang.
- Promoted to Playable: Sorta. In some bonus stages, you can utilize Cubot's served head. Also, Omochao can be used in the "1.5 player" mode. There is one stage where you play as Tails.
- Random Events Plot
- Rated G For Gangsta: Even though the game is rated E 10+ for dark humor...
- Rolling Attack
- Wall Run: Sonic can pull this off.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Whatever became of the Deadly Six after their defeat?
Waldorf: So there you have it, Sonic Lost World, a game that should really stay lost.
Statler: I've lost my mind because of this game. It just lost me!
Waldorf: Have Sonic Team finally lost it?
Statler: I dunno... what in the world is this game?