|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
In Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer, humanity has been nearly overrun by a mysterious corruption that transforms all technology and organic material it comes into contact with. Their last hope is a lone mercenary issued with the Söldner-X prototype ship.
Set twenty years later, Söldner-X2: Final Prototype stars a new pilot fighting against the D'aarg empire, who threaten to conquer humanity with technology adapted from The Virus of the previous game. The game gives your pilot a choice of two new ships, plus the Söldner-X prototype as an unlockable third ship.
The series includes examples of:
- AFGNCAAP: The main character of the first game. Averted in the second game, where your pilot has a voice and a portrait.
- Asteroid Thicket: Stage 3 of the original game. Stage 1 of Söldner-X2.
- Attack Drone: Then can be found as temporary power-ups in both games.
- Battleship Raid: The second DLC stage of Söldner-X2 is one.
- Bullet Hell: Söldner-X2, on the higher difficulty levels.
- Deadly Walls: Stage 2 of the first game is full of them.
- Deathtrap Boss: The Stage 7 boss of Söldner-X2.
- Downloadable Content: Söldner-X2 got 3 extra stages released as DLC.
- Dynamic Difficulty: Söldner-X2 has a "Rank" system that adds more enemies and bullets as you do well, and removes them if you're doing badly.
- Go for the Eye: Whether organic or mechanical, you'll be shooting boss's eyes a lot in this series.
- Gratuitous German: The title. Mission control's calls in the first game.
- Limit Break: Limit attacks in Söldner-X2.
- Multiple Endings: The endings depend on how many stages you've unlocked with the Secret Keys.
- Nintendo Hard: The first game had to be patched to add an easier difficulty level.
- Overheating: Your weapons overheat if fired for too long in the first game, encouraging you to switch weapons often.
- Puzzle Boss: The stage 2 boss in Söldner-X can't be damaged by your weapons. You have to shoot the ceiling spikes in his room so that they fall on his exposed neck.
- Sequel Difficulty Drop: Söldner-X2 is much easier than Söldner-X.
- Songs in the Key of Panic: The background music becomes more frantic when you're low on health.
- The Virus: Your enemy in the first game.
- Water Is Air: Stage 5 of Söldner-X2 takes place underwater. Your ship's movement and weapons are not affected in any way by this.