|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A Stock Phrase that uses an analogy to make a point. Someone has tried to make a point about something; in response, someone points out something obvious that contradicts it in this fashion:
"Nothing can possibly go wrong. We're in love!"
"So were Romeo and Juliet."
Super-Trope to Hitler Ate Sugar. Hitler Ate Sugar is supposed to argue that doing something is evil because someone else who was evil did it, too. So Was X is supposed to argue that someone or something could be incorrect or just as dangerous as something else (the X).
See also Appeal to Obscurity.
- In Watchmen, an astonished Nite Owl doesn't understand how Ozymandias could be involved with the nefarious plot against costumed superheroes, when he's such an incredibly good person as well as a vegetarian. Rorschach points out that Hitler was a vegetarian, too.
- In the Judge Dredd Spin-Off The Simping Detective, Jack Point lights up a cigar in Sector Chief Daveez's office and makes it clear that he knows Daveez played a significant role in a criminal case he was investigating and covered it up. Daveez responds by grabbing Point by his jacket lapels and threatening him to drop the case, the exchange ends,
Daveez: ...And smoking's still illegal, creep.
Jack: (points to the martini glass on his desk) Yeah. Heh, so's alcohol.
- In Johnny Mnemonic, Johnny insists that trying to make a deal with the evil corporation is a good idea, explaining that they'd be willing to make a deal because they're corporate.
Jane: So is the Yakuza.
- In Matilda, Miss Honey tries to show Miss Trunchbull how smart Matilda is:
Miss Honey: She can multiply large numbers instantly in her head.
Miss Trunchbull: So can a calculator.
- In Stripes, when thinking of how to rescue their platoon from Czech soldiers:
Russell Ziskey: Do the words "Act of war" mean anything to you?
John Winger: I have a plan.
Russell: Great. Custer had a plan, too.
The Metatron: I am to charge you with a holy crusade.
Bethany Sloan: For the record, I work in an abortion clinic.
The Metatron: Noah was a drunk, and look what he accomplished--and no one's asking you to build an ark!
- From P. G. Wodehouse's "Honeysuckle Cottage":
"Don't do it." said Mr McKinnon, a stout bachelor. "You're too young to marry."
"So was Methuselah," said James, a stouter.
Live Action TV
- From an episode of the last season of Monk, where the prosecutor is worried the Suspect of the Week will walk:
Stottlemeyer: Relax, the guy is clearly guilty.
Prosecutor: So was OJ.
- From Lost:
Hurley: Do not open that! There's dynamite and it's mega-unstable.
Richard: I know that.
Hurley: Well, so did Dr. Arzt. And I was wiping him out of my shirt two days later.
- Seen on various message boards:
Hemlock is both natural and organic.
- From comedian Matt Kershen:
Heroin is natural. Nicotine is natural. A pack of wild wolves is natural! Natural doesn't mean safe!