|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Snow-White and Rose-Red" (or "Snow-White and Rosy-Red") is a Fairy Tale told by both Charles Perrault and The Brothers Grimm in their fairy tale collections. The oldest known version had the title "The Ungrateful Dwarf".
A poor peasant woman lives in a cabin in the woods. She grows two rose trees in front of her house, one with white roses and one with red. When the flowers bloomed she had two children, both girls. She named them both after the trees, Snow White and Rose Red respectively. When the girls are young teens they have an adventure involving an evil dwarf, a talking bear that turns out to be an enchanted prince, the enchanted prince's enchanted brother, and, of course, eventually live happily ever after.
"Snow-White and Rose-Red" contains examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: In works like Patricia C. Wrede's version, which places the story in Elizabethan England and weaves fairies and the famous sorcerer John Dee into the tale.
- Animorphism: Unwillingly. The Older Prince is transformed into a bear by the Dwarf and doesn't recover his human form until the end.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: The girls are super pretty.
- Big Bad: More like a very tiny bad.
- Demi Human
- Disappeared Dad: The girl's father is never really mentioned
- Double In-Law Marriage: Snow White marries the Older Prince, and her younger sister Rose Red marries the Prince's younger brother.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: The girls marry into royalty
- Everything's Worse with Bears: But only if this involves a certain dwarf. Other than that, the "bear" is a Nice Guy.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Happily Ever After
- Love At First Sight
- No Name Given: The Princes. Or at least the younger Prince.
- The Power of Love
- Prince Charming
- Rags to Royalty
- Rule of Three: The girls helped the dwarf three times.
- Shallow Love Interest: Given that the girls do know the oldest Prince for awhile, but we don't know how long the courting process for Rose Red was with the Prince's brother. Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics averts it, though
- Sibling Yin-Yang
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: "Snow White was more quiet and gentle than Rose Red. Rose Red liked better to run about in the meadows and fields seeking flowers and catching butterflies; but Snow White sat at home with her mother, and helped her with her housework."
- Wicked Witch: The Mini!Bad is a gender flipped verison.