|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Internet Movie Database describes to plot as this: "When an entire town in upstate New York is closed down by an unexpected snowfall, a "snow day" begins when a group of elementary school kids, led by Natalie Brandston, try to ensure that the schools stay closed by stopping a mechanical snowplow driver by trying to hijack his plow truck. Meanwhile, Natalie's big brother Hal is using this day to try to win the affections of Claire Bonner, the most popular girl in his high school, while Hal and Natalie's father Tom, a TV meteorologist, faces off against a rival meteorologist for weather coverage of the day's events."
Tropes in this movie include:
- Chain of Deals: After the kids kidnapped the antagonist Snowplower's pet bird, he takes one of their friends hostage. They agree to meet someplace in order to give back the hostages, but nobody can agree on who to release first...
- Dogged Nice Guy: Oh, Hal.
- Dreaming of a White Christmas: Well, not exactly a White Christmas, but just snow for Natalie.
- Expy: Written by the creators of The Adventures of Pete and Pete as a potential feature film for the series, it instead got re-tooled as a standalone film yet fans of the show can clearly see who in the film is the spiritual successor to the characters on the show.
- First Girl Wins
- Ms. Fanservice: Claire. Half of the movie she is wearing a red swimsuit. In the middle of an upstate New York winter. Why? Because she's a diver.
- New York State
- Oblivious to Love: Hal in regards to his best friend. She eventually calls him out for ignoring her in favor of Claire.
- Running Gag: The jerk principal being pelted by a never-ending barrage of snowballs that come out of nowhere. For the entire day.
- Snowed In: Taken to the logical extremes, but not extreme enough to let people outside.
- What Could Have Been: See Expy - they actually intended this to be The Adventures of Pete and Pete The Movie, but it was shelved for a few years and by the time work got back on it, the show had ended and the actors who played the Pete brothers were too old for their characters.
- You Make Me Sic: "It's pronounced DOPP-ler radar, you moron".