|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
16 Blocks is a 2006 release directed by Richard Donner, starring Bruce Willis, Mos Def, and David Morse.
Jack Mosely, alcoholic cop, is given the job of escorting a witness named Eddie from lock up to the courthouse so he can testify. It's only sixteen blocks, but there's a lot of traffic, the witness doesn't trust the police, and the people he's supposed to testify against want him dead...
The problems start when two goons try to kill Eddie in traffic when Mosely stops to get a bottle at a liqour store. Things escalate from there.
Contains examples of these tropes:
- The Alcoholic: Jack
- Atonement Detective: Jack
- Click Hello: Twice. The first time, Eddie keeps talking, allowing Jack to get to get the drop on one of the corrupt cops chasing him. The second, Jack pretends to surrender to Nugent while Eddie gets the drop on him.
- Dirty Cop: All over the place, including Jack.
- Escort Mission
- Engineered Public Confession
- Heroic Bystander: The SWAT-sniper who kills the last bad guy before he can assassinate Jack.
- Knight Templar: Nugent.
- Motor Mouth: Eddie.
- Pound of Flesh Twist
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Subverted. Jack goes to his sister's apartment to get his backup weapon, but takes Glocks from several of the cops he diables along the way, preferring to use them.
- A Simple Plan: More than one. Sixteen blocks have never seemed so long.
- The Mole: The Prosecutor's office has one.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The main villain's arguments sound reasonable until you consider the bloodshed they require. He doesn't seem to realize he's the villain.