|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Shootfighter Tekken is a short anime OVA prequel of a manga called Tough, which probably deserves its own page (or integrated with this one).
It follows the story of Kiichi "Ki-bo" Miyazawa, a young punk who is the only son of Nanshin Shadow Style's remaining few masters, Oton Miyazawa. Nanshin Shadow Style is a murderous martial art, borne near the end of Meiji-era Japan, and utilizes strikes to vital points and pressure points on the human body to cripple (or outright kill) opponents.
Neither Oton or Kiichi really have any desire to use this martial art to kill. Or really to do anything more than become stronger with it, really. But an old rival, Iron Kiba, is still simmering over his loss with Oton--he demands a rematch with Oton and threatens to expose Nanshin Shadow Style to the world if he doesn't get it. He sends flunkies one by one to harrass them, and...well. It goes kinda downhill from there.
- Abusive Parents: Iron Kiba's Freudian Excuse.
- Badass Boast: "I NEED to be able to fight the strongest opponents! If GOD would put up a fight, I would even throw down with the Almighty Himself!"
- Lampshaded directly afterwards: "...did you REALLY just say that?"
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Oton's attire of choice is a black suit and glasses.
- Bittersweet Ending: Kiichi and Oton lose. Though not exactly to the normal Iron Kiba...
- Black and White Morality: You either respect your opponent and want to become stronger, or want to break every bone in their body.
- Chekhov's Skill: If a fighter has mentioned an ultra-powerful technique, it will be used.
- Cursed with Awesome: A master of the Nanshin Shadow Style has absolute control over whether his opponent lives or dies, and must constantly keep himself in check.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The entire Nanshin Shadow Style is a dangerous forbidden art, as every single technique can either cripple or kill opponents.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Kiichi buddy-buddies up with The Man Eater this way. In the end, Kiichi manages to change even Iron Kiba's heart, though not entirely by beating him...
- Dream Sequence / Flash Back: Iron Kiba is constantly haunted by the one match he lost, against Oton and the Nanshin Shadow Style.
- Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting: Being a martial arts anime, natch.
- Eye Scream: Kiba's eye was forcefully gouged out. He has a habit of popping his replacement one out and putting it back in.
- Face Heel Turn: In the wrestling sense. Iron Kiba is (supposedly) a good enough face to get all sorts of product lines and sponsors, but after encountering the Nanshin Shadow Style after many years, his next match forcefully disqualifies him via flagrant foul--and he proceeds to rant to the entire audience about how the rules are pointless anyway.
- First-Name Basis: Kiichi calls his father by his first name, "Oton", instead of his surname--or more appropriately, "father" or "dad".
- Heir to the Dojo: Kiichi to Nanshin Shadow Style.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Dan Green is Oton in the English dub.
- Hot-Blooded: Kiichi. Seriously.
- Kick the Dog: Iron Kiba stepping on the neck of his beaten student, and Master Genchu splintering Shingo's arm after he lost.
- Large and In Charge: Oton.
- Men Don't Cry: Kiichi is floored by Oton getting hit head-on by a car. Gramps' reaction? "Man the hell up."
- Morality Pet: The Man Eater's little sister.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Man Eater.
- Narm: NANSHIN SHADOW STYLE IS A MURDEROUS ART. :(
- Overdrawn At the Blood Bank / High-Pressure Blood: Toyed with. When the Man Eater gets gouged deep with a knife, he uses his muscles to push it out. Blood then gushes out like a fountain, and he ends up hospitalized from blood loss.
- Precision F-Strike: "Master Genchu, I have only one thing to say. ...you're a piece of shit."
- Real Men Wear Pink: Oton likes bunnies.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Oton.
- Squick: There's more than several very...graphic...representations of bones getting broken and organs getting bruised. Don't watch this if you have a weak stomach.
- The Chick: The Man Eater's little sister.
- The Napoleon: Kiichi.
- The Stoic: Oton's first half of personality.
- Training From Hell: Kiichi goes through this very frequently. In the first episode alone, his own father KILLS HIM! He gets better.
- Tranquil Fury: Oton's second half of personality.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Iron Kiba.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Shingo the Reader's Freudian Excuse.