Shoji Kawamori is a mechanical designer and anime director with a very distinctive visual aesthetic and animation style. He frequently works together with Yoko Kanno and the animation director Ichiro Itano.
He has directed the following:
- Super Dimension Fortress Macross
- Tenkuu no Escaflowne (The Vision of Escaflowne)
- Earth Maiden Arjuna
- Sousei no Aquarion (Genesis of Aquarion)
He has also done mechanical design for the following:
- BattleTech: Until Harmony Gold filed a lawsuit in contravention of decisions that were made in Japanese courts.
- Patlabor series
- Future GPX Cyber Formula series: Technically cars, but they're mechanical designs nonetheless.
- Outlaw Star
- Cowboy Bebop: With Shinichiro Watanabe
- Armored Core series
- Eureka Seven
- Transformers: Masterpiece Starscream and Hybrid Style Convoy
- Ace Combat Assault Horizon: Designed the ASF-X Shinden II. His Macross background shows through with it's design and functions.
- Time Jam: Valérian and Laureline
He frequently uses the following:
- Belligerent Sexual Tension
- Humongous Mecha
- Love Triangle
- Macross Missile Massacre
- Organic Technology
- Red Oni, Blue Oni
- Theme Music Power-Up
- Transforming Mecha
- Trolling Creator / Wrong Genre Savvy: He has a way with audience expectations, even those who have been following his work for a long time.