|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Hanna-Barbera based this early 1980s Animated Series on a group of animal characters from Hallmark greeting cards. In the Shirt Tales cartoon, the animal heroes had their base of operations in an old oak tree.
This series provides examples of:
- Affirmative Action Girl / Sixth Ranger (Kip Kangaroo)
- Channel Hop (from NBC to CBS)
- Kangaroos Represent Australia (Kip Kangaroo)
- Expressive Shirt
- Five-Man Band
- Forgotten Theme Tune Lyrics (first season only)
- Friends to All Living Things
- Gang of Critters
- Half Dressed Cartoon Animals
- Overt Operative: Possible subversion. No one is supposed to know who the Shirt Tales really are, let alone that they are five (later six) talking animals. The mere fact alone that they are talking animals is the perfect cover since most humans would assume that the Shirt Tales were also humans. So, they aren't as "overt" as the trope would imply.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Fred Travalena's Bogey Orangutan was a voice caricature of Humphrey Bogart, "schweetheart".
- Pandaing to the Audience (Pammy Panda)
- Species Surname
- Alliterative Name: The only exceptions are Digger Mole and Bogey Orangutan.
- We Help the Helpless
- West Coast Team: The Western Shirt Tales from the episode "Moving Time" consisted of a prairie dog, a fox, a skunk and an owl.
- Yet Another Christmas Carol: A non-Christmas example in "Save the Park"; features a character named "Ebenezer Grunge".
- ↑ However, this occured after the show ended production. CBS only showed reruns of the show.