|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A Catch Phrase that is used in equal amounts by several characters.
If the catchphrase is usually said by one character, it's a Borrowed Catchphrase. If it's something one person said once, then someone else said later, it's an Ironic Echo or Meaningful Echo. If the catchphrase is directed at the same person in each instance, that person is a Phrase Catcher. If someone else's pet phrase or verbal tic 'infects' another character, it's Got Me Doing It.
See Arc Words for when the phrase is a dramatic element of the story.
- "I have a bad feeling about this" makes an appearance in every Star Wars film (and as such most Expanded Universe stories).
- As does the Big No.
- In The Avengers 1998 the phrases "How real will it feel" and "I thought I was seeing double" are said by several characters.
- On Arrested Development, each character has said "That was a freebie" once.
- "I've made a huge mistake" started as one of Gob's, but by the end of the series everybody was saying it.
- In Leverage, every member of the team has at one point said, "Seriously?" in similar same tones. The producer says he enjoys the spin they each put on it.
- Kamen Rider Double: "Now, count up your crimes!"
- Doctor Who: "I'm/you're/she's fine."
- Castle: "Shut the front door!"
- "WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!"
- Hello Cheeky had several, used equally by all the cast to categorize jokes. "Did you know...?" "This is a newsflash. (swoosh)" "Well, would you believe it!" Then there was "Your private life's your own concern!"
- "Son of a bitch!" in Red vs. Blue, said whenever someone's being fatally or near-fatally shot at or (more typically) blown up.
- There's a montage video showing pretty much nothing but people saying "Son of a bitch!" and other variants ("Madre de dios!" for Lopez, for example) on one of the DVDs.
- "That doesn't seem physically possible!"
- "HOORAY FOR POKEY!!" and "YES!!" are used constantly, and by just about everyone, in Pokey the Penguin.
- Many lines in Homestuck, such as "That's all there is to say on the matter" and "You cannot hope to defeat [character] in a [verb]-off. He is simply the best there is."
- Many lines on Archer.
- Didn't see that coming.
- Phineas and Ferb: "Aren't you a little young/old/etc. to be (whatever the person is doing)?" and "Yes, yes I am"/"No, no I'm not."
- "Hey, where's Perry?"
- Well, we're boned.