Selena is a 1997 biography about the life of Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla-Perez. The film details Selena's beginnings as a child performer up to her rise in stardom as a Latino and North American icon, ultimately culminating to her untimely and tragic death at the hands of her fanclub manager, Yolanda Saldivar. Jennifer Lopez stars in the lead role, and Edward James Olmos stars along side her as Selena's father, Abraham Quintanilla. This film is notable for providing a Star-Making Role for Jennifer Lopez.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Selena's husband was Chris Perez- who had long hair, wore punk clothes, and played heavy metal before performing with her.
- Downer Ending: The movie ends with Selena's death and a candlelight vigil being held in her honor.
- Fake Nationality: The movie got into a little hot water when they cast Lopez to play Selena. Some people felt that they should honor Selena's Mexican heritage by hiring a Mexican actress, instead of Lopez, who's Puerto Rican.
- Star-Making Role: Before she was the diva J-Lo, she made her mark with this movie as Jennifer Lopez, talented actress.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy Selena who enjoyed playing outdoors, vs. girly girl Suzette who did not want to be a drummer because "girls don't play drums".