|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The third of three movies starring Scooby Doo, Shaggy, and Scrappy-Doo. The last movie produced for Hanna-Barbera's Superstar 10 series, it was also the last appearance of Scrappy-Doo in animated Scooby Doo.
We open up to Tyler County, USA, where the narrator introduces us to our heroes; Shaggy has become a race car driver, with Scooby and Scrappy as his on-board mechanics, cheered on by his 'adoring but liberated girlfriend' Googie.
But this happy scene can't last as we shift to darkest Transylvania, where Count Dracula is holding a meeting of monsters at his castle. It's time to decide the Monster of the Year, but the Werewolf is absent, having gone into retirement. With one of the most iconic monsters AWOL, Dracula is about to call the contest off until he learns of a special night--three of them--when the moon comes into position to make a new werewolf. Unfortunately, that new werewolf is none other than Shaggy!
Dracula sends his minions the Hunch Bunch, a pair of hunchbacks, to America to transform Shaggy and bring him to Transylvania. Shaggy refuses to take part, however, and Dracula makes a deal with him: If Shaggy can win the Monster Road Race, Dracula will undo the transformation. However, the count has no intention of letting his new werewolf go that easily... ---
This direct-to-TV movie includes examples of:
- All Just a Dream: When the gang wakes up in Dracula's castle, Shaggy tries to invoke this.
Dracula: Never mind, this is not a dream!
- Baleful Polymorph: Shaggy.
- Brainless Beauty: Vanna Pyra. As Drac says, "Her brain is running on empty."
- Go fig she the most human looking monster there. (Yes she's a monster, the eyes and the fingernails are a dead giveaway she's a vampire.)
- Cool Car: All of them. The tops would have to be Shaggy's car.
- Cool Plane: Dracula flies one near the end.
- Dem Bones: Mr. Bone Jangles.
- Dick Dastardly Stops to Cheat: Subverted. Despite literally fighting for the lead, none of the other monsters stoop to this. Dracula, a non-participent, is the one setting up traps.
- Dripping Disturbance: The Hunch Bunch, to keep Shaggy from being well rested for the race, try to invoke this. Brunch even calls it 'The Old Dripping Facet Ploy."
- Everything's Worse with Bees: The Hunch Bunch try to sic Transylvanian Bees on our heroes. It backfires.
- Evil Brit: Brunch of the Hunch Bunch.
- Fat and Skinny: The Witch Sisters.
- Flat Joy: The peasants watching the race. "Yay."
- Turns genuine whenever anything bad happens to Dracula.
- Foreign Queasine: Dracula tries to use food to intice Shaggy into staying, and it almost works--until Shaggy and Scooby learn what's in the buffet...
- Hiccup Hijinks: Shaggy gets the hiccups just as he becomes a werewolf. He keeps changing back and forth with each hiccup, until the Hunch Bunch scare 'em out of him--while Shaggy is a werewolf.
- The Igor: Besides the Hunch Bunch, there's also Wolfgang, a wolfman-like creature who slavishly serves the Count.
- I Lied: Whenever the Count is called out for breaking a promise, he claims to have had his fangs crossed. Good thing Vanna-Prya's ditziness wound up helping in the heroes in the end.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Count Dracula is the one who suffers most of the slapstick humor.
- It Was Here, I Swear: Scooby, while trying to explain that Shaggy is being stalked by monsters. Later, some kids after Shaggy transforms.
- Monster Mash
- Punny Name: Vanna-Prya. A play on Vanna White who Vanna-Prya is modeled after. Most kids in this generation likely won't get the joke.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: Inverted. A kiss from Googie wakes Shaggy up.
- Shock and Awe: Frankstein's Freaky Franken-Wagon is equipped with a cannon that shoots lightning bolts.
- Sore Loser: Dracula after Shaggy and Scooby win the race.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Count Dracula, who's not happy about it.
- The Unintelligible: Crunch of the Hunch Bunch.
- Visual Pun/Hurricane of Puns: By the carload. One elects groans from the peasants.
- Wacky Racing: Heck this is practically Wacky Races only with Scooby and monsters.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Upon seeing who his new werewolf is, Dracula complains, "What kind of a name is Shah-gee?"
- Wicked Witch: Two of them, the Witch Sisters.