|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A particular type of trailer or advertisement for a show which focuses on little besides the main character and making sure the audience damn well remembers the main character, and by extension, the film's name. Essentially, you take a bunch of unrelated scenes from the production and edit them together to get a Say My Name sequence.
This is most common with children's films with a character title name. The trailer is nothing more than the various secondary cast members saying the main character's name in quick succession (sometimes, but not usually, including the main character self-identifying). For instance, the trailer for Bob: The Movie would go something like:
Etc. etc. etc.
Of course, Viewers are Morons, especially children, so maybe repeating the name of the movie and main character 50 times quickly in one commercial will get it to stick into their sugar-riddled brains. It's like an Anvilicious Title Drop.
- An Adult Swim promo for Inu Yasha consisted of clips of the titular character and his Love Interest Kagome saying each other's names.
Film -- Animated
- WALL-E (Granted, being R2-D2 In Love, half the movie itself is Say My Name)
- The Tinkerbell Movie
- Disney's Hercules. Of course, the last one is Hades saying "Jerkules."
- The Tale Of Desperaux
- Ratatouille, complete with pronunciation guide.
- Some advertising spots for How to Train Your Dragon were Say "Dragons" Trailers.
- The Adventures of Tintin they say Tintin alot
Film -- Live Action
- Harry Potter
- Stuart Little
- Juno (oddly enough)
- The trailer for In Bruges includes a brief montage of about half the times the word "Bruges" is used in the film. The film itself can be played as a Drinking Game. Which is good, because by the end of it, you'll really want a drink.
- Charlie Wilson's War
- The Adventures of Pluto Nash
- It was "only" three or four times, but at least one Jonah Hex trailer has this.
- There's Something About Mary
- Tamara Drewe
- It wasn't actually used to promote the movie, but the dvd of The Family Man has an extra called "Hi Jack Montage", which is exactly what you'd think it is.
- Harriet the Spy
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest did this for Captain Jack Sparrow in one TV spot, with most of the characters just using "Jack".
- Imagine the phrase "My name is Domino Harvey" repeated about seventy times and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the Domino trailer is like.
- One TV ad for Mirror Mirror is a Say "Snow White" Trailer.
- A variation: one ad for James Bond Jr. featured the following exchange:
Girl (with admiration): James!
James Bond Jr.: Jr.!
- A trailer for an episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars had repetitions of "Deathwatch"
- A TV commercial for Batman the Animated Series had a montage of several villains saying "Batman!" in varying degrees of disgust - followed by the announcer commenting: "See what everyone's talking about."
- A commercial for Maya and Miguel had a montage of Miguel saying "Maya" and his sister Maya saying "Miguel" repeatedly, with the last two parts being Say My Name.