|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Sara Bareilles is a pop singer-songwriter best known for her 2007 hit single "Love Song." Since hitting the mainstream in 2007 she's struggled to find quite as much success as with her debut single, but a dedicated fanbase and a collection of irresistible tracks has kept her from maintaining a "One Hit Wonder" status. Currently she has three grammy nominations (two for "Love Song" and one for "King of Anything"), has played for the President and his family twice, and has little trouble selling out venues across the globe.
Sara has been reminding people that she exists lately with hit singles "King of Anything" and "Uncharted," proving that maybe singer-songwriters have some staying power in the industry after all.
- Careful Confessions (2004)
- Little Voice (2007)
- Kaleidoscope Heart (2010)
- Once Upon Another Time (2012)
Tropes Related to Sara Bareilles:
- Album Title Drop - On Kaleidoscope Heart in "Uncharted."
- Audience Participation Song - During her live shows she encourages fans to sing along to "Love Song"
- Break Up Song - "Breathe Again," "Gonna Get Over You," "Basket Case," and "Bluebird"
- The Cover Changes the Gender - Averted with her cover of Cee Lo Green's "Fuck You"
- Dual-Meaning Chorus - "Love Song" was written to her record label, not to a lover, but by listening to the chorus you wouldn't know that.
- Precision F-Strike- "Sweet As Whole" edging toward Cluster F-Bomb, but it's the only time she curses in her entire catalog.
- Iconic Song Request - "Love Song," though she doesn't mind.
- Listing Cities - In "Vegas"
- Love Nostalgia Song - "Breathe Again"
- Lyrical Dissonance - Multiple songs; Sara prides herself on writing "Fuck You" songs to joyful, poppy melodies.
- Pep Talk Song - "Let The Rain"
- Self-Backing Vocalist - Many tracks on Kaleidoscope Heart, but notably in "Kaleidoscope Heart," "King of Anything," "Say You're Sorry," and "Not Alone."
- Signature Song - "Love Song," though people are beginning to associate her more with "King of Anything" of late.
- Silly Love Songs - Subverted with "Love Song."
- Sir Swearsalot - Has an adorable potty mouth.
- The Swear Jar - In the interim talking on her "Live from So Ho" iTunes EP, she mentions that she often doesn't get paid when she plays at universities because of her cursing.
- Take That - "Machine Gun" was written to her critics.
- "Love Song" was written for her record company, who kept asking her to write one.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "King of Anything"
- Unplugged Version - A few songs on the deluxe edition of "Little Voice"