|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A one-volume novel of Akira Toriyama that appeared in Shounen Jump, Sandland is about a desert wasteland where humans and demons coexist, although not peacefully. While the demons do not kill, they enjoy making trouble for humans. They are reduced to stealing precious water from the king's supply...then a human sheriff comes and requests their help in finding the elusive Phantom Lake...
- Badass Normal: Rao. Of course, he was one of the youngest generals in existence...
- Big Bad:
King of Sand LandZeu.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: General Are shoots down Commmander Zeu.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Thief calls Rao a "dirty old man" for having a magazine poster of a nude actress. To his own embarrassment, the actress was Rao's wife (all his old pictures of her was destroyed in the explosion).
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Beezlebub gives a human boy one of the boxes of water the demons stole.
- Cyborg: General Zeu.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Demons in general. They may like mischief and cause trouble from time to time, but mostly keep to themselves and don't harm humans.
- The Dragon/Dragon-in-Chief: Commander Zeu
- Evil Is Dumb: The King; but he's just a figurehead, that's what he's supposed to be.
- Evil Plan: Zeu. So hard.
- Harmless Villain: The King, because he's not actually in charge.
- Heel Face Turn: General Are, although the potential was already there. More notably the Swimmers.
- Here We Go Again: The ending, where Rao once again asks Beezlebub for help on another adventure. Beezlebub is more than happy to accept. Not so much for Thief.
- Hidden Elf Village: When the heroes finally find Phantom Lake, they find it inhabited by an endangered species. They opt to leave them be rather than let the creatures be wiped out.
- Information Wants to Be Free: The main characters' quest to find an oasis is opposed by the King's government, which controls the only other source of water.
- Jerkass Facade: Belz and Thief aren't fooling anyone.
- Man Behind the Man: Commander Zeu
- Non-Action Guy: Thief. He'd rather stay home than go on Beezlebub's adventures. But he does help.
- Older Than They Look: The demons, especially Beezlebub.
- Our Demons Are Different: There are Japanese demons and demons from Christian/Catholic mythology. Note that Holy Water does not work on the former.
- Shout-Out: Beezlebub's father looks like Dabura.
- Tank Goodness: A short ways into the story the group steal one of the kings tanks and spend most of the rest of the story traveling in it.
- The Reveal: Rao is a supposedly dead military man whose squadron and family were wiped out in an explosion that they inadvertently caused.
- Villain with Good Publicity: The King.
- Or maybe Zeu, as the King is more puppet than anything.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Zeu is forced to do this in the end. Doesn't work.
- X Meets Y: The Road Warrior meets Dragon Ball.