|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Once upon a time, there were three witches, who lived in the little Town of Riverdale. Two aunts, Hilda and Zelda are choosing the ingredients to create an evil wicked witch. But suddenly, Zelda bumped right into Hilda and accidentally added beautiful girls' stuff as an extra ingredient. Thus the grooviest teenage witch was born, she has white hair with a pink headband, and blue eyes. She wears a blue dress with a black belt and black shoes. She loves to goof off and battle evil forces using her ultra magical powers. It so happens that she is the first bewitching American superhero — Sabrina, the teen-age witch!
The Sabrina the Teenage Witch Show is a Filmation series from 1970, produced for CBS during Saturday mornings, featured Sabrina, the platinum blond teenage witch from The Archie Show, as well as her cat, Salem; her boyfriend, Harvey, and her two aunts, Hilda and Zelda. The series is also aired in primetime as a syndicated program. Yes, the same characters from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but 20 years earlier.
Sabrina often visited Horrible Hall, which was home to the Groovie Goolies: comic versions of classic monster types (vampire, werewolf, Frankenstein monster, mummy, etc.) who told jokes and played songs. It bore a hit single in 1970, "Chick-A-Boom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It)" by Daddy Dewdrop, the pseudonym of producer Allen Duchovny. The single itself was slightly racy; the version on the cartoon was much more sanitized.
About a year later, the show would be split into its constituent halves and shown separately. In 1972, on the ABC Saturday Superstar Movies, the Groovie Goolies would appear in a bizarre Crossover with the Looney Tunes characters.
- Animated Adaptation
- Animated Series
- Artificial Human: Sabrina was created by Hilda and Zelda Spellman out of magic potions, as well as the accidental addition of teenage girls' stuff, due to being accidentally bumped by Zelda.
- Bratty Half Pints: Batso and Ratso
- Catch Phrase: "This place is driving me batty!"
- Frank (after being struck by lightning): "I needed that!"
- Cool Broom: Sabrina's ride had a big cushioned eggshell-like seat with a flower on top. (Aunt Zelda flew a vacuum cleaner.)
- Crossover: In the aptly named Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies.
- Dem Bones: Bonapart and the Barebones Band.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl
- Evil Redhead: Della.
- Laugh Track
- Magical Girl
- Monster Mash
- Non-Human Sidekick: Salem the cat
- Prime Time Cartoon: While the series was aired on CBS during Saturday mornings, The Sabrina the Teenage Witch Show quickly became the most successful syndicated primetime animated TV show in television history.
- Stock Footage: Common, as in all Filmation series. Footage of vampires Drac and Bella (!) would show up decades later on Filmations Ghostbusters.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Perky and tomboyish witch girl Sabrina Spellman and the greedy and sinister Miss Della.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: Sabrina herself. Her hair is either white or platinum blond.
- Wicked Witch: Hilda and Zelda both had the traditional appearance, though it was belied by a kindly nature in Zelda's case.