|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Sabrina is a 1954 Romantic Comedy film starring Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn and William Holden. It was directed by Billy Wilder and based on a play called Sabrina Fair. It was Audrey Hepburn's second film, meant to capitalize on her rising popularity. The film was nominated for several Oscars and won the award for Best Costume Design, further cementing Audrey Hepburn at the top of the best dressed list for years to come. The film has become a classic of the genre. In 1995, it was remade with Harrison Ford, Julia Ormond, and Greg Kinnear in the respective roles.
The story introduces us to Sabrina Fairchild, the waifish daughter of the wealthy Larrabee family's chauffeur. The Larrabees have two sons: the workaholic Linus (Bogart) and the carefree playboy David (Holden). Sabrina is madly in love with David, and tries to kill herself when he doesn't return her advances, but Linus stops her. Sabrina is then shipped off to Paris to attend culinary school, but still pines for David. She returns home extravagant and radiant, and immediately turns David's head, even though he doesn't recognize her at first. This causes problems as David is about to marry Elizabeth, who is essential to an important company merger. Linus tries to direct Sabrina's attention away from David, and unexpectedly falls in love with her himself.
Not to be confused with Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
The films contains examples of:
- Actually, I Am Him: Sabrina and David's first interaction is hilarious because of this.
- Foreshadowing: Linus orders two tickets for the play The Seven Year Itch, which was Wilder's next film. In interviews, Wilder said this was intentional.
- Important Haircut: Sabrina loses her ponytail after the Baron jokingly tells her it makes her look like a horse.
- Interrupted Suicide
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Used by both parties. Linus knows Sabrina is in love with David even though he [Linus] is in love with her. He tells David to get on the boat with her, and they'll cancel the merger. David recognizes his affection, and takes his responsibility with the company so that Linus and Sabrina can be together.
- Lethal Chef: Sabrina at first. She gets better during her time in Paris.
- Literal Ass-Kicking: David sitting on his champagne glasses.
- Little Black Dress
- May-December Romance: Sabrina is 21. Linus is much older.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Sabrina's dress at the party has lots of embroidery, and a voluminous second skirt (in the shape of a Showgirl Skirt) attached to the narrow main skirt.
- Nautical Knockout: This happens to Linus Larrabee.
- Romantic False Lead: David Larrabee.
- She's All Grown Up
- She Cleans Up Nicely
- Unequal Pairing: Both Linus and David are members of the upper crust. Sabrina is a chauffer's daughter. Her father attempts to discourage her budding feelings for this very reason.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: As Christopher Buckley put it, Sabrina apparently takes along "about 10 steamer trunks full of Givenchy" when she returns to America.
- We Named the Monkey "Jack": Sabrina's poodle is named David.