|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Saawariya was a 2007 Bollywood movie that pretty much crashed and burned with audiences and critics alike. But it also happens to be notable for featuring many tropes.
The plot centers around Gulabji, a prostitute living in a fantasy city that calls to mind many real world equivalents without being any place in particular. She tells the story of Raj, a newcomer to town who makes everyone happier just by existing. But when he falls in love with the mysterious Sakina, he is dismayed to learn she is in love with someone else.
The film is an adaptation of White Nights, an early short story by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
The film contains the following tropes:
- Almost Kiss: Even when Sakina briefly considers having a relationship with Raj, she can't bring herself to let him kiss her.
- Bare Your Midriff: Gulabji.
- Blithe Spirit: Raj.
- Break the Cutie: Sakina, as she waits for Imaan.
- Crowd Song: Chabeela. But maybe Gulabji forced her friends to rehearse it, in case Raj showed up for her birthday or something.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: A great deal many. Raj is seriously a sweet guy. The moments with old lady Lillipop are especially adorable.
- Determined Widow: Lillipop.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Raj's approach to his feelings for Sakina. To creepy effect, at times.
- Downer Ending: Sure, Sakina rejects Raj. It gets better: The two of them may only have been figments of Gulabji's lonely imagination. And Raj might have been inspired by Lillipop's son, who died many years ago. So, yes, Lillipop's lonely, too. And always has been.
- Drunken Song: Averted. Raj doesn't drink.
- Dude, Not Funny: Raj holding Sakina over the edge of a tower. As a joke.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: In addition to India, Italy and Russia also appear to be represented.
- Fan Service - Raj in a towel dancing. Towel slips. Just watch this. Epitome of Fan Service for females.
- He was mocked thoroughly for this by Shah Rukh Khan. But Shah Rukh Khan immediately proceeded to do a 5 minute song that just consists of water and abs...so....
- Fragile Flower: Sakina.
- Gorgeous Period Dress: So much of what Sakina and Gulabji wear.
- Homage: Many to Raj Kapoor, Ranbir Kapoor's grandfather.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Gulabji.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: Raj's clothes are ... interesting. Pretty, but interesting.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Raj's reaction when Imaan shows up to take Sakina away.
- Love At First Sight: Cue the song Masha-Allah.
- Love Dodecahedron: Gulabji loves Raj who loves Sakina who kinda sorta likes Raj but really just loves Imaan...
- Love Makes You Evil: When Raj burns Sakina's letter to Imaan.
- The Masochism Tango: Some of this, with Raj and Sakina.
- May-December Romance: Sakina and Imaan.
- Mood Swinger: Sakina. Imaan even makes fun of her for it.
- Narm: Raj flailing in excitement in a telephone booth. And in Gulabji's house. And when he's with Sakina. And... okay, you get the picture.
- The Nicknamer: "Can I call you Lillipop?"
- Gulabji, too. She insists on calling Raj "Saawariya."
- Non Actor Vehicle: Neither Sonam Kapoor nor Ranbir Kapoor had ever acted in a movie before, let alone starred in one. They are, however, both the offspring of two famous actors (with Ranbir Kapoor just one member of a whole acting dynasty.)
- Relationship Upgrade: Subverted. Sorry, Raj.
- Scenery Porn: So, so much.
- Wet Sari Scene: Sakina gets caught in the rain an awful lot.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Imaan.