|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
SMBC Theater is an online sketch comedy that updates once a week. It was created by Zach Weiner of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, which is where the name comes from, and is written by Weiner and James Ashby.
The humour can be varied, ranging from comments on politics to crude sex jokes. There is also a lot of relationship humour as well.
This series contains examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: Comes up a lot.
- Bad Santa: Played by James in the first Christmas special.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Turned Up to Eleven in "Prognosis". Jon dreams about getting a disease that makes his penis grow and grow until it kills him and explodes. He's disappointed when it turns out not to be real.
- Black Comedy Rape: One short has Wonder Woman masquerading as a superheroine called "The Sodomizer," who saves people, then ominously asks them to bend over and pick something up for her.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Hilariously deconstructed in "Both Sides", a parody of Bill O'Reilly's "No Spin Zone". They introduce sides like "Eyeglasses vs Stabbing Yourself With a Steak Knife" to show that not all points are equally valid.
- Deal with the Devil: One that impresses an angel.
- Death by Sex: In "Superman vs. Aliens", Superman reveals this as his preferred way of killing bad guys.
- DVD Commentary: The "Goes to Hell" DVD has Zach and James making comments on the sketches in between each one.
- Everything Explodes Ending: This episode.
- Everything Is Racist: At the end of 5 People You Meet In Heaven.
- Fox News Liberal: While parodying this trope in a sketch called Both Sides, they actually highlight their own use of this by presenting the educated scientist and doctor as in the right, whereas the Christian and alternate medicine practicer are presented as complete morons who make incredibly weak arguments.
- Gorgeous Period Dress: The Duel.
- Hollywood Nerd: The Just Friendship and Time Travelling Geek sketches features this.
- Jackass Genie: Subverted in "Genie". The genie tries to give James and Zach's wishes horrible consequences but gets frustrated when they don't seem to care.
- Lie Detector: Followed by a "Reframing Detector" and a "Changing the Subject Detector." They're meant to circumvent first-date stupidity, supposedly.
- Naked People Are Funny: James frequently appears naked on the show. Bonus points in that he's the fattest character in the cast.
- Serious Business: Everything from debating to staring contests to poker games.
- Shallow Parody: Makes fun of this in the writer sketch.
- Staring Contest: An "Ultimate Starting Contest" to be exact.
- The Magic Poker Equation: Starts with a Full House, ends with someone shooting hellfire from his eyes melting the souls of the other contestants.
- The Reveal: "That's right! Your incestuous murder-child was Hitler AND Stalin!"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: James and Zach
- Who's on First?: The answer being, "I F@#ked Your Mother."
- You Killed My Father: Parodied in "Worst Haunting Ever"
Dad: You must avenge me on my kiiiiiilllllllleeeeeeeeers...
Son: You weren't killed. You drank twelve beers a day for 30 years. you died of cirrhosis.