Rough Draft Studios is a California/South Korean based studio founded in 1991 by Animator Gregg Vanzo. Originally the company started out in a Garage. But while working on The Ren and Stimpy Show, Gregg's wife Nikki suggested to show creator John Kricfalusi about outsourcing to South Korea. Which was how the company's South Korean division was formed.
Compare Production I.G, Toon City, GONZO and Digital E Mation, four companies that also use CGI in their animation, on the Korean side of things, Compare (And contrast) AKOM, their partner on The Simpsons, Madhouse's South Korean Subdivisions DR Movie & Moi; Hanho Heung Up, Sunwoo Entertainment and JM Animation.
Aside from Ren & Stimpy, the company's work includes
- Adventure Time (With Saerom)
- The Angry Beavers
- Baby Blues
- Baby Looney Tunes
- Beavis and Butthead
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
- Camp Lazlo
- Codename: Kids Next Door
- Cow and Chicken
- The Critic
- Danny Phantom
- Dilbert (with AKOM and Yeson Entertainment)
- Drawn Together
- Family Guy - Did eight episodes of season Two (production order)
- Fern Gully (alongside Wang, Hanho Heung-Up, A. Film, Available Light Productions, Saerom, and Luk-Film; among others)
- Kim Possible (Many early episodes and series finale).
- King of the Hill (seasons 1-3 and 5 only)
- The Looney Tunes Show
- The Maxx
- The Mighty B
- My Life as a Teenage Robot
- The Oblongs (with AKOM)
- Phineas and Ferb
- The Pink Panther 2 (Opening Titles)
- Pinky and The Brain (along with Wang Film Productions and AKOM, as well as T Ms for the Christmas Special)
- The Powerpuff Girls (Sans pilot)
- Recess: School's Out (along with DisneyToon Studios)
- RoboCop 3 ("Johnny Rehab" commercial animation)
- Rocko's Modern Life (Season 4 only)
- Samurai Jack
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (Season 2 only)
- The Simpsons - Joined during the fourth season, Also worked on the movie
- Sit Down, Shut Up
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Star Wars: Clone Wars - Note how there's no "The" in the name.
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- Timon and Pumbaa
- Tom and Jerry Tales (some later Season 2 episodes)
- The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
And more, actually. They've been slowly reaching Wang in terms of usage.
Tropes associated with this company
- Animation Bump: Largely due to their CG. Making them one of the better received overseas companies.
- Conspicuous CG: a reoccurring thing with them and is present for most of their shows but incredibly noticable in The Simpsons Movie and Sym-Bionic Titan. However, they are also capable of doing this incredibly well. Scott Vanzo, a relative of Gregg, is the CG supervisor of Futurama.
- Deranged Animation: Some of the shows they've worked on (especially Ren & Stimpy and The Twisted Tales Of Felix The Cat)
- Medium Blending: Hand-drawn animation and CGI (Either by themselves or, in the case of one Simpsons Halloween special, with Pacific Data Images providing the latter).
- Off-Model: Ren & Stimpy aside, these guys are not immune, having exhibited this in several episodes of SpongeBob in their first season a lot, among other shows.