|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Monty (formerly Robotman and then Robotman and Monty)is a comic strip by Jim Meddick that was started in 1985 and is still running to this day.
In the beginning it starred Robotman, a robot who believed he was from another planet, living with the Milde family until he found his geeky creator Monty, who had given him false memories of being an alien, though he did have to leave Earth when aliens showed up to abduct him, leaving Monty as the star of the show.
The comic provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adorkable: Monty.
- Aborted Arc: Whatever happened to all this about Monty actually being from space??
- Aside Glance: Lots and lots.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Most characters are aware this is a comic.
- Some strips indicate No Fourth Wall.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Notably, this happened to the entire original cast (first the Milde family, then Robotman himself) of the strip.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Monty when he brings out his puppet, Mr. Blinky.
- Deadpan Snarker: Pilsner, the speaking parrot.
- ANY of Monty's girlfriends.
- Demoted to Extra: Robotman, before Jim Meddick was requested to scrap him altogether.
- Doppelganger: Robotman's evil twin.
- Face Palm: Normally the way other characters react to Monty screwing something up.
- Fan Disservice: Whenever Monty's naked, but this depends on the reader of course.
- Fan Service: Meddick has drawn some very hot women.
- Five-Man Band: Shortly after Robotman's departure:
- Invisibility: One of the many scientific experiments Monty goes through.
- Mouthful of Pi: The true name of the Rigelian Mr. Pi (aka Dave).
- Nerd Glasses: Monty and Dwayne.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Dwayne, a nerdy vampire, only eats animal-blood and ketchup.
- Shout-Out: There are several!
- Guess who Loco Ohno is a pardoy of?
- Plenty to Star Trek and Star Wars.
- Monty was told at one point that the comic world is not real, but a fictional realm, referred to as The Comix.
- Monty was once bitten by a radioactive Ladybug.
- There's been a two-week parody of Lost that revealed "The Others" to be the cast of Gilligan's Island.
- There was also an Apocalypse Now reference in there.
- The three-week story Lord Of The Thing
- Fleshy resembles The Pink Panther somewhat.
- The Shining was spoofed once.
- Apparently the title is a tribute to Monty Python.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Monty's role started growing more and more after he was introduced, making Robotman himself Demoted to Extra.
- Take That: Again, too many to name.
- Talking Animal: Pilsner, Chimpy and, way back, Mr. Giggles.
- Tear Jerker: Robotman's final strip before leaving.
- What Do You Mean It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: The comic even gets too weird for the protagonist at one point.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Chimpy and Dave disappear some time after Doc is introduced.