|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
In just a few years after the events at Raccoon City, the world has become a desolate wasteland. Alice has become a recluse due to fears about her new-found abilities. However, she soon intercepts a transmission mentioning a place where the infection never spread.
Meanwhile, a group of humans including Carlos and LJ are struggling to survive. The news comes as a spotlight through the darkness, but how are they to get there when nothing outside of Umbrella has working transport out of America? At the same time, a scientist is experimenting on how to domesticate zombies - but he needs Alice's blood to put the final touches on it...
This film contains examples of:
- After the End: Extinction is set In a World in which the T-virus has contaminated and destroyed nearly all life on Earth,
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The Japanese version of Extinction uses "Last Angel" by Koda Kumi as the theme song.
- Apocalypse How: Class 5, in progress.
- Attempted Rape: Some post-apocalyptic rednecks set up a fake Distress Call which ensnares Alice. They looked as though they were about to rape her until she Neck Snaps one of them and they decide to feed her to the dogs.
- Audible Sharpness: Alice's knives in Extinction.
- Big Damn Heroes: Alice gets one when she shows up and uses her psychic powers to kill off the Goddamned Crows attacking the convoy.
- Black Dude Dies First: Played ridiculously straight.
- Character Development: It may just be five years of surviving a Zombie Apocalypse, but LJ seems like a lot less of a "gangsta" and seems to take things more seriously.
- Cloning Blues: Guess what, Alice? You just got a whole army of... yourself.
- Dual-Wielding: Alice's paired kukri knives.
- Dwindling Party
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Carlos blowing up a truck to take a whole bunch of zombies down with him while doing a J.
- Expositron 9000: The White Queen
- Guns Akimbo: Alice wields pretty much all her guns this way. Unlike the prior film in the series, Carlos and L.J. seem content to just use one gun.
- Heel Face Turn: The White Queen technically undergoes one of these. It just barely qualifies as her programming was designed to prevent the spread of the T-Virus and try to control the epidemic as best she could. As an AI she has no loyalty to Umbrella beyond what is programmed into her and since Umbrella didn't think to do this she turns on them as she quickly concludes that Umbrella is only going to make the outbreak worse if allowed to continue existing.
- Heroic BSOD: Alice in Extinction, though this is a result of Umbrella's mind control.
- Hall of Mirrors: LJ ends up shooting at a zombie's reflection in Extinction. The zombie was actually behind him.
- Hologram: This is how the heads of Umbrella meet. Alice uses it at the end of the third movie as well.
- Heroic Host: Alice and the T-Virus.
- Idiot Ball:
- LJ deciding to hide his infection and put everyone in danger, despite being competent enough to survive for five years in a zombie apocalypse.
- Me's a Crowd: The third film introduces many Alices. The fourth film promptly disposes of them all.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The trailer for Extinction started out with a commercial for Las Vegas.
- Psychic Powers: Alice gets these from the T-virus.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Alice.
- Quest for Identity: Alice has shades of this.
- Ragnarok Proofing: Not perfect, but Extinction and Afterlife do show at least a general idea of what 4-5 years of post-apocalyptic decay can do.
- Raising the Steaks: Crows in Extinction and dogs in all of the movies.
- Room Full of Zombies: The clown car trailer full of zombies.
- Sequel Hook: ** It ends with Alice finding the rest of the clones of her that Umbrella was using for their experiments... and they're waking up.
- Synthetic Plague: The release of the T virus in the 2nd movie Resident Evil: Apocalypse caused mass death by the time of Resident Evil: Extinction.
- Viva Las Vegas: The crew stop off here.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Duh
- Zombie Gait: Averted, subverted, inverted, played straight, played for laughs and everywhere inbetween.