|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Resident Evil fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Page Reconfiguration in Progress: Fan Fic Recommendations is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropiate category, and to format it according to the template.
Authors, and Websites
- Recommended by Arktos, Vyctorian
- As it was already mentioned in the Silent Hill Fan Fic Recommendations, she's a superb writer. Possibly the best in the fandom, if not at least one of the best. Warning: Adult.
- Has to be one of the best writers I've read in years, including published works. Though she does have certain elements to her style which some might find annoying she is in no way bad.
- Recommended by Crow T R0bot
- She has authored several RE fics, but the three that stand out are Resident Evil: Project Lucifer, a story about two ordinary high school students in love who get caught up in the Raccoon City outbreak. The first half is mostly their troubles with more game relevant problems going on in the background, but it keeps you interested long enough to stay with it until the actual Zombie Apocalypse gets in full swing. The other two fic recs are its sequel, Resident Evil: Fallout and its prequel, Resident Evil: Double Amber which circles around Jill Valentine's BFF/Joseph Frost's girlfriend, RPD lieutenant Amber Bernstein, and covers the events from between the first game to the events of Project Lucifer.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Gelious.
- Synopsis: AU from the end of RE 5, where Sheva dies, Jill remains Wesker's puppet,and they escape from Chris to release Uroboros once again...in USA. Soon the virus spreads all over the world, however, it isn't Wesker's victory, more like his complete failure (replace hords of zombies from movies with packs of Uroboros. Have fun!). The story describes lives of Jill, Chris, Wesker and Claire (a bit) After the End, focusing on their thoughts and emotions.
- Comments: A rather dark story with many Flashbacks to Jill past both with Wesker and before RE 0 forming Anachronic Order and much angst - Jill, Chris, even Wesker. There is also plenty of Jill\Chris vs Jill\Wesker.
- Hmm I'm second, but somewhat relunctantly. Portions of the fanfic are very well written, almost haunting, and can give some interesting insight on Jill and especially Wesker. But somewhere around chapter 10 or 13 it takes a bit of a nose dive and slows down considerably with occasional highlights of good writing with huge revelations. The characters are OOC, terribly so with Chris who has been interpreted into a bit of a dirty cop. Wesker starts to become rather mood swingy around this point and just a little Stalker with a Crush though this may be the point. Jill is also not herself, but it's implied this is because of prolonged time around Wesker. So it's a mixed bad of very good and for some very bad. The characters have been derailed, slowly, but this may have been the intention of the author. YMMV though, it's still worth the read for the first set of chapters.
- Thirding. I just devoured this thing. The above description is accurate, however. Say yes if you like angst, symbolism, screwed-up Jill/Wesker goodness, and AU interpretations that dig deeper into the characters than canon does. Say no if you dislike OO Cness, oppressively gray moods (it's post-apocalyptic), fanfic that takes itself (too?) seriously, and fanon details that screw with the canon timeline just enough to make the whole story - even the pre-RE 5 bits - taste like AU. Still a solid rec from this troper.
- Just finished this. Absolutely amazing, writing is brilliant and characters are very deep and emotional. First thing first though, definitely AU and pretty heavy OO Cness (as was noted above) especially from the middle to the end of the story. However, this works heavily in the story's favor, as it helps develop the characters into people so much more richer and realistic than whatever the game presents us with.
- Recommended by
- Synopsis: The survivors deviate from the Resident Evil Outbreak plot and end up drunk, sexed up, dead, undead, high, robbing a bank, and more. Also, Kevin decides he wants a piece of David. Confusion and frustration follow.
- Comments: A clusterf*** of randomness that can be described as "Exposition, getting drunk, dance with zombies, become serious, take a jackhammer to the fourth wall, and more". It's really hilarious because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Not for the faint of heart, or faint of lung, although YMMV.
ACT 4: BIOHAZARD The Prelude to Horror by noctorro
- Recommended by Crow T R0bot
- Synopsis: Follows Kenneth Feng, a young intern at the RPD who finds himself in the background of both the game's canon, as well as with the OCs of several other author's fan characters, resulting in an unusual fan-made Expanded Universe that's arguably Better Than Canon. It also includes H Ho D's (mentioned above) plus several others (including a crossover with the fic below).
- Recommended by Crow T R0bot.
- Synopsis: Follows Jake Cavanaugh, a Badass Longcoat hitman who has been hired by a mysterious client to assassinate William Birkin. He arrives in Racoon City just in time to be caught up in the Outbreak and proceeds to fight his way through the zombie hordes while having chance encounters with various characters throughout the city.
- Comments: The original fic was marred by occasional OO Cness and the main character has some serious Gary Stu moments, especially towards the end, but it is nonetheless a fun (though long) read. This was not good enough for the author, who looked back on what he originally wrote and realized these were problems and struck out to publish a rewrite of the fic: Darkness Arises: Reborn which, while having a similar plot, is going in some very different directions from the original fic to be something almost entirely new (though it is a R Emake after all). Jake, while still fairly Badass has yet to show his pre-existing Gary Stu colors and is much less heavy handed with his character development this time. This troper is also proud to say that he is actually Metal Harbinger's beta reader and played some part in these "improvements."
- Recommended by Zerban
- Pairings: Tongue-in-cheek crack pairing of Dr. Marcus and his various lab animals whenever he is 'on-page'.
- Synopsis: July 1998. A scientist named Matt Brennan is hired by Umbrella when 90% of their workforce is lost in a lab accident. A rookie S.T.A.R.S member with old scars, both mental and physical, named Kate Parker is in a training exercise when she leaves with Bravo team to investigate in the Arklay Mountains. When she and Matt meet on the Ecliptic Express, they realize just how nonsensical their situation is, and team up with the series protagonists to lampoon Umbrella's various stupid decisions and get out of the nightmare alive.
- Comments: The Matt and Kate are flawed and human enough that they only distort the plot for comedic purposes. It lampoons the canon character's nonsensical choices as well as Flanderizing them to a degree, and the Umbrella Corporation's extravagant malevolence and odd architectural choices. However, it includes serious moments that rely on quality of writing and drama to carry the story, including some UST between the two OCs and touching moments between canon characters. It subverts, averts and lampshades most of the series' tropes and includes some well-written fight scenes. Written in 2009, including mythology gags about RE3 and Dead Aim, it is finished, but on a cliffhanger at the outro of RE0.
- Recommended by Zerban
- Pairings: Features a tongue-in-cheek crack ship of Barry and Wesker, though it's mostly Barry yelling about Wesker's sexy body at inopportune times.
- Synopsis: Matt and Kate have followed Rebecca into the Spencer Mansion. They attempt to meet up with Chris and Jill as Wesker manipulates the team from behind the scenes. Will Matt and Kate Solve the Soup Cans together, or will their next emblem puzzle be their last?
- Comments: Continues the trend set by its prequel Welcome to Umbrella with lampooning, subverting, lampshading, averting and parodying. Includes some Mind Screw time warping to show alternate scenes and develops Matt and Kate as characters. In progress, currently up to the defeat of Plant 42.
Senseless Nonsense by Haveyouseenmyghost
- Recommended by Mad Midnite Dreams
- Pairings: Slight Wesker/OC, parody style
- Synopsis: It all started with some prank phone calls…it all goes to hell from there.
- Comments: Seeing as I’m a part of this, perhaps I’m biased…hmm. Hilarious cracktastic fun, although many characters are OOC, this is intentional, for humor. A few minor spelling mistakes, two OCs, and an OC/Wesker pairing, for the sake of humor. Also, the first chapter is done in script style, although you can skip it without concequence.
Sonata 14 by Romipen
- Recommended by Yoyoddd
- Pairings: A little Sherry/Wesker, if you really squint.
- Synopsis: After discovering the salvaged body of Albert Wesker being revived by Tricell, Sherry breaks her old captor/caretaker out of the corporation's grasp, becoming an international fugitive in the process.
- Comments: It seems to be developing rather nicely. Everyone seems to be in character, and it's nice to see a (somewhat) softer side of the super-villain that is Wesker.
Til Cuffs Do Us Part by Rainfox88
- Recommended by Eona
- Parings: Billy/Rebecca
- Synopsis: Resident Evil 0 if Billy and Rebecca were handcuffed on the train.
- Comments: The author does a good job of allowing the character's relationship to grow, as well as keeping the story generally lighthearted with healthy doses of humor.
Old Friend, New Looks by MovieVillain
- Recommended by: Death Note Fan
- Pairings: Claire/Jill
- Synopsis: Post RE 5, Claire gets reunited with her brother's old friend, Jill, and finds her with new looks.