The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- Award Snub: Not nominated for Best Picture or even the expected Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards, despite being the most critically acclaimed film of 1985. It was only after other film directors (notably Sidney Lumet) campaigned for Kurosawa's nomination for Best Director that he was successfully nominated. He still lost to Sidney Pollack for Out of Africa.
- Complete Monster: Lady Kaede. Her Freudian Excuse doesn't even come close to justifying the brutal murder of Sue and destruction brought upon everyone.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Toru Takemitsu's Western style music score.
- Narm: The English dub, included with the Blu-Ray release. Not as bad as the Hong Kong Dubs from the earlier Godzilla films, but still wince-inducing.
- Narm Charm: Not "charm", per se, but the while the quite-obviously-fake blood would kill the mood in most films, it does not in this one.
- The extremely dramatic Noh-influenced performances and make-up also work way better than one might expect.
- Magnificent Bitch: Lady Kaede.
- Purity Sue: Sue, appropriately enough.
- Special Effect Failure: Because the arquebuses used in this movie are flashpaper guns, they have red muzzle flashes.
- Tear Jerker/True Art Is Angsty: Hands down one of Kurosawa's most depressing films.
- The Woobie: Tsurumaru, Lady Sué.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.