The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Hey, didn't I see you on Cops?
—Girl at Counter
A hell of a lot Better Than It Sounds.
Rachel Getting Married provides examples of:
- Bitter Wedding Speech: Kym, who has just gotten out of rehab, makes a speech at her sister's rehearsal dinner apologizing for her past actions because she is jealous of the attention her sister is getting.
- Black Sheep: Kym.
- Dead Little Brother: Ethan, who drowned after a car accident when Kym drove off a bridge while she was high.
- Dinner and a Show: Subverted for the most part. Much of the escalation happens when the family is at home, but it's hard to have any privacy when the wedding party is in the same home at all times.
- Dysfunctional Family: Rachel and Kym's family. Lampshaded by Kym during her speech at the rehearsal dinner.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Sidney is portrayed by Tunde Adebimpe, the lead singer for the indie rock band TV On the Radio.
- It's All About Me: Kym is so self obsessed she throws a tantrum when she realizes her sister's wedding is not about her rehabilitation.
- Kym and Rachel seem to actually be a variation of The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry in which Kym is out to prove that she's better and Rachel is, well, getting married. Rachel even pulls the news of her pregnancy out during a heated argument that she started. Everyone cheers up and congratulates her, while Kym is left angry, miserable, and still unable to settle things with her family.
- Jerkass: Emma in particular, but Rachel gets her fair share. Kym can come off as such, but she's of a different flavor.
- And then there's Mom...
- Leave the Camera Running: At times, it looks like the movie was cut together from footage the guests took with their camcorders.
- My Greatest Failure: Kym accidentally driving off a bridge and causing her little brother to drown because she was high. Rachel almost never lets her live it down.
- Oscar Bait: Anne Hathaway was nominated for an Oscar for her role in this film.
- Playing Against Type: Who'd have thought that the girl from The Devil Wears Prada could pull off such a raw emotional performance?
- Poor Communication Kills: Boy howdy, it sure does.
- Sorry I Left the BGM On: Non-humorous example; the background music is generally the sound of the wedding band practicing prior to the big day, and the father asks the musicians to stop playing during a very intense emotional moment
- Throw It In: Between takes, Anne Hathaway asked the director Johnathan Demme if the wedding band was going to be playing throughout the scene. He told her if she didn't like it, she should "do something about it." So she did.
- Stepford Smiler: Kym and Rachel's mother.
- Title Drop: During one of the rehearsals.
- Tropaholics Anonymous: While she's in town for the wedding, Kym attends the meetings of a local NA chapter.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.