"Where the good fun begins!"
On May 8, 2006, ION Media Networks, NBC Universal, Nelvana, Scholastic Corporation, and Classic Media announced plans to launch new children's entertainment endeavor spread across all media platforms, including video-on-demand on digital cable and an interactive webpage. Originally announced under the name "Smart Place for Kids", the official name Qubo was announced in August 2006. The name "Qubo" was chosen for the platform due to its "fun" sound and marketability in both English and Spanish. Each owner contributed shows to the network.
The primary goal for Qubo is to "provide quality, entertaining children's programming in a safe environment." The endeavor utilizes ION's digital broadcast outlets, the educational, literary, and creative assets of Scholastic, the acquisition duties of Classic Media, and the combined content libraries and production facilities of Nelvana, and NBC Universal, which will also dedicate its weekend morning lineups to Qubo. Qubo's Saturday morning block debuted on NBC and Telemundo on Saturday, September 9, 2006, replaced the Discovery Kids block on NBC. This was followed by the Qubo block repeating on Ion Television, which began on Friday, September 15, 2006. This was followed by the launch of a digital television network on January 8, 2007 on the digital subchannels of Ion Television stations.
On September 28, 2010, Qubo Channel launched a late night programing block aimed at older audiences entitled "Qubo's Night Owl", the block airing nightly from 12 a.m. - 6 a.m. Eastern time, features animated series primarily from the Filmation animation library.
In fall 2012, NBC will dump the qubo block in favor of its own block called NBC Kids, which features programming from sister network PBS Kids Sprout.
Programs featured on Qubo include:
- 3-2-1 Penguins!
- Adventures from the Book of Virtues
- Bravestarr - part of "Night Owl"
- Class of the Titans - currently on "Night Owl", it was on the main lineup for a little over a month.
- Filmations Ghostbusters - "Night Owl"
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - "Night Owl"
- Jacob Two Two
- Jane and the Dragon
- The Magic School Bus
- Marvin the Tap-Dancing Horse
- The Mysteries of Alfred Hedgehog
- Pippi Longstocking
- Postman Pat - no longer airing
- Rescue Heroes
- She Ra Princess of Power - "Night Owl"
- Sitting Ducks - "Night Owl" (formerly in the daytime rotation)
- Spliced - "Night Owl"
- Theodore Tugboat - no longer airing
- Turbo Dogs
- Veggie Tales - no longer airing
- Willa's Wild Life
- Zula Patrol