|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Miyako Sakuragawa is a graduate student at Eito University against the wishes of her family, who wants her to take over their ryokan inn. She finds out that the prince of Estolia, Wilfred alias Will, is studying abroad and is at Eito University. She wants to get close to him only in the hopes of finishing her thesis on his great grandmother, Queen Ritsuko--but he has other ideas!?
Miyako also thought that Wilfred was the perfect White Prince. Oh, how wrong she was. He has no any sense of personal space, is completely clueless about Japanese customs, likes to call her "Miss Melons" because of her boobs and pretty much installs himself in the ryokan after cutting a deal with Miyako's mom. And so, she can't help but being cold and hot to him. However, it seems that for all his pervertedness, Wilfred might have started to become genuinely fond of her and show another side of his heart...
Private Prince is a Josei manga written by Maki Enjouji. Published in Shogakukan's Petit comic, it spanned through 24 chapters and five volumes.
Private Prince invokes these tropes
- Almighty Mom: Kyouko, Kyouko, Kyouko
- And Kyouko, just in case.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Miyako and Wilfred
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Tsuzuki
- Brainy Brunette: Miyako.
- Beta Couple: Makoto and Chiriko.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Wilfred bounces between this and Handsome Lech.
Wilfred: It's a part of every prince's job to give women something to dream about!
- The Comically Serious: Robert. In spades.
- Cool Big Sis: Princess Cecilia
- Mr. Fanservice: Wilfred, oh so much.
- Expy: Will occasionally comes off as an Older and Wiser version of Tamaki.
- Face Palm: Robert frequently sports this when Will does something silly again.
- Fan Service with a Smile: When Miyako works as a waitress, she has to dress up as a Meido
- Friendly Tickle Torture: In the bath.
- Gag Boobs: Well, there is a reason Miyako is nicknamed "Miss Melons" in universe, huh? Wilfred even mentions her breasts during the conference where he announces his engagement to her.
- According to Word of God, Miyako is a F-cup. That's some EPIC boobage going on there.
- Hot Scoop: Played with. Miyako is pretty and busty, but her very relaxed fashion sense doesn't remark on this.
- Hot Springs Episode: Well, Miyako does live in a ryokan. And right after his arrival, Wilfred tries to get into the bath with her, apparently unaware that the baths are not unisex.
- I Want Grandkids: Miyako's mother Kyouko not only wants her her to take over the ryokan, but deeply fears she'll become a Christmas Cake.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Wilfred
- Kick the Dog: In the backstory: Tsuzuki pretty much seduces Miyako for his benefit, then dumps her and steals a good part of her research. And later he tries to manipulate Miyako to try getting funds for his research from Will. But he'll have nothing of it.
- Pet the Dog: When he reappears almost at the end, Tsuzuki apologizes to Miyako for his attitude and tells her he's much more dedicated to studies and investigation because of them.
- Kuudere: Robert is a male example.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Wilfred
- Mama Bear: Kyouko Sakuragawa is nagging and all, but when Miyako goes into an Heroic BSOD because she thinks Will will not fulfill his promise to marry her, she not only lets her return home without any questions, but doesn't hesitate to call Will out and kick him outta the ryokan, even dousing him with cold water on first sight. Keep in mind that she's doing this to someone who's royalty, and it could get her potentially in LOTS of trouble. Too bad he wanted to clear all up back then, so Miyako's dad has to fix it up.
- Meganekko: Miyako.
- Lampshaded in the fourth chapter, where many uni girls believe Wilfred has a "glasses fetish" and show up wearing them, much to his surprise.
- Modest Royalty: Wilfred bounces in and out of the trope.
- Mood Whiplash: One of the "reasons" why Christopher thinks that Wilfred is NOT attracted to Romantic False Lead whom Miyako thinks he's gonna marry is...
Christopher: SHE'S GOT NO BOOBS!
- New Transfer Student: Wilfred, too.
- Pandaing to the Audience: Here. Also a Crowning Moment of Funny.
- Plucky Girl: Both Chiriko and Miyako.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Will invokes this many times, specially when he plans to renounce to his royalty status and marry into Miyako's family, if that's the only way for him to stay with her.
- Second Love: Miyako was in love with her then-sempai, Tsuzuki, but after using her help for a bit while they researched together, he dumped her. Therefore, Will becomes this for her.
- Servile Snarker: Robert, Wilfred's valet.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Miyako, in the first chapter. Subverted since she's so uncomfortable that she trips over her long dress... in front of Wilfred, of course.
- Invoked on her when she and Will go abroads and she has to learn etiquette amoing other things.
- Shipper on Deck: Chiriko openly supports Will and Miyako's relationship. Robert does too, but he's not as open on it.
- Christopher ships it too.
- Shotgun Wedding: When Miyako thinks she's pregnant with Wilfred's baby towards the end, he invokes the trope on his family so they can get married despite her not being of Royal Blood and bypassing the rules . In a subversion, it was a false alarm... but they marry anyway. And by the very end, Miyako is pregnant for real.
- The Snark Knight: Miyako sometimes comes off as this.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Will's older brother Al and his mistress, a divorcée who also practices a different religion. Also Miyako and Will, when things go serious. Both cases get better, tho.
- Team Chef: Makoto, who actually works as the chef in the Sakuragawa ryokan.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Chiriko (tomboy) and Miyako (girly girl)
- Tsundere: Miyako is a Type B/deredere
- The White Prince: Will's "not friend", Christopher Wellsmith.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: The whole premise behind this manga... only genderflipped as "Well Excuse Me PRINCE!"
- What the Hell, Hero?: From Will to Tsuzuki, when he tries to manipulate Miyako again. He also is given one by Kyouko, when he tries to go to the ryokan and speak to Miyako when she's in her Heroic BSOD state.
- Miyako also get one from Christopher, in regards to her blindly believing the news about his Arranged Marriage, without giving him even the benefit of the doubt. And ironically, it comes right before Kyouko calls Will out on the deal with Miyako.
- Yoko Oh No: Miyako had to deal with Wilfred's jealous and aggressive fangirls pretty much the morning after the high-class party.
- You Must Be Cold: Will and Miyako, right after they reconcile. Since he had been doused with cold water by Kyoko in full Mama Bear mode, she says the trope word by word as they take off their clothes and hug naked.