|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"When you're in prison, don't turn the other wayDo not bend at all..."
Keep your back against the wall
When you're in prison, don't turn the other way
—The Offspring, "When You're in Prison"
Jail, the Big House, the Slammer.
If a show is set in Prison, the wardens and/or guards usually contain at least one Drill Sergeant Nasty, and there is a prevalence of gang violence, drug abuse, and Prison Rape. Due to the need to present the setting as extremely violent, dangerous and chaotic, shows set primarily in prison, such as Oz, will frequently use Red Shirt characters.
- The Alcatraz
- Cardboard Prison
- Epiphanic Prison
- Gilded Cage
- Hellhole Prison
- Luxury Prison Suite
- Penal Colony
- POW Camp
- And its two bastard children, the internment camp and the concentration camp.
- Prison Episode
- Tailor-Made Prison
For Real Life background information:
Prison as the main setting:
- Time Spike by Eric Flint and Marilyn Kosmatka, which is loosely connected with his Ring of Fire series. A modern American maximum-security prison, as well as several other groups, are moved back in time to the Cretaceous.
- Prison Break
- Porridge which ran considerably against type, being a sitcom with relatively little violence. Episodes focusing instead on surviving institutional life, characters and friendship.
- Bad Girls
- Prisoner: Cell Block H
- Hogan's Heroes
- Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay: A game based entirely on escaping from prison that was actually pretty fun.
- Sanitarium: A great game based on escaping from a loony bin.
- The Suffering is a third-person shooter that takes place on a prison... that gets attacked by monsters.
- Half Life 2 had you breaking into a high security prison, Nova Prospekt. To do this you had to storm a fortified beachfront, run past several machine gunners, scale a steep cliff face and shoot down a pair of gunships just to make it inside. According to another character, this was easier than breaking out. Once inside, the largely empty Nova Prospekt turned out to be pretty eerie.
- The Riot Act mod is about breaking out of Combine-operated prison.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum: The entire game is set in the titular insane asylum/prison. Fortunately, it's varied enough to be entertaining the whole way through.
- The Lydian Option is a sci-fi comic set on an asteroid prison run by a species that incarcerates criminals for every offense, no matter how minor.
- Survival of the Fittest version three has a jailhouse/prison/military stockade as one of the locations, frequently used as shelter by the students. So far it's one of the least bloody locations on the island, with only one person having died there. V3 characters Brad Kavanagh and Eduardo Trinidad-Villa are also mentioned as having spent time in juvenile hall, Brad on (false) murder charges, and Eduardo on assault charges. Brad was released when the real killer came forward and his case was overturned, but Eduardo served his entire sentence.
Prison is frequently used as a set:
- One Piece (Impel Down arc.)
- In All Fall Down, IQ Squared and Pronto end up here at the finish.
- Arrested Development
- Law and Order and the derivatives
- My Name Is Earl (season three)
- Red Dwarf (series eight)
- The Shield (season four)
- The Wire (season two, more briefly in season three and still more briefly in season 4)