|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
In a World where nobody sleeps, Drew Spencer tries to hold on to a job and his sanity. Drew is unable to use the pills known as "Z-Sup" which let everyone else stay awake 24 hours a day, due to an allergy. Being run ragged by a world without sleep and a society that seems to accept the weirdest of events without question, Drew is also being roped into something sinister going on behind the scenes of this bizarre world.
Power Nap is something radically different from the writer Maritza Campos previous comic, College Roomies from Hell. The art is by Bachan who is known in the mexican comic scene for http://produccionesbalazo.com/ (In Spanish only).
This webcomic contains examples of
- Cannot Dream: Though it hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet, use of the Z-Sup essentially makes it so that the vast majority of people do not dream, though mostly as a side effect of not sleeping. What this means considering Drew's prophetic dreams is, as of yet, unknown.
- Crapsack World: Though little has been seen at the moment, it would appear that, aside from (or perhaps because of) no one sleeping anymore, the whole world seems to be going insane. Not reacting the augmented reality ads, having two people to staple and then unstaple the same papers, blase acceptance of suicides and psychotic breaks.
- Fantastic Racism: In a manner of speaking. Drew's inability to use the Z-Sup appears to draw more than a little negative attention. Case-in-point, people shying away from him asleep on the train, kids putting post-it notes on him asleep in the train again, and Wendy running out on their date when she realizes.
- Going Postal: Drew setting a desk on fire.
- Government Conspiracy: The police know there's real monsters appearing out of nowhere, but they're trying to cover it up.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Drew's arm falls off and the dream-demons deduct a few points...
"You guys are jerks."
- Mission From God: Either this or a Deal with the Devil.
- My Beloved Smother - The opening sequence is a nightmare about an Eldritch Abomination who chases Drew while nagging him to carry an umbrella, eat more, get a haircut, call more often and give her grandchildren.
- Mega Corp - "The Corporation," which manufactures the mandatory sleep-replacement drug Z-Sup.
- It also appears to be slightly more helpful than most, as Drew's condition actually secures a paid position in their company to compensate for their Z-Sup basically making his life impossible to handle. Of course, this could simply be a court order.
- Only Sane Man: Despite his problems, Drew may be the most balanced one in the comic.
- Perpetual Smiler: Smiling Guy.
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: Drew's dream at the beginning of the comic, where a monster hands him an umbrella, ends up being a little more literal than you may have originally thought.
- Took a Level In Badass: Go Drew.
- Weirdness Censor: Drew is the only one troubled by an action movie ad crashing into a mall through the roof (other people shrug it off), and the only one at the office even to notice security dragging off a man having a psychotic episode.
- World Gone Mad: On a realistic scale, funnily enough.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Poor Drew.