|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
There he/she is, about to begin their speech for class and bam! the character feels a sharp pain. A character's hands fly to their crotch and they turn their knees inward, in an attempt to not "wet" themselves. They then begin to hop from one foot to the other.
The character gets questionable looks from their classmates. Maybe they've done it once before. This dance can be done by males or females, with slight variations in posture.
The pose is often seen in people experiencing a Potty Emergency.
Also commonly referred to as the pee-pee dance. Predominantly children's behavior.
- Pull Ups had a commercial where kids do the Potty Dance. It has steps! You can visit their website to download the song.
Anime & Manga
- In Case Closed: Conan fakes a Potty Emergency during a case this way (in order to Pull the Thread on the suspect).
- Ichigo Mashimaro: Chapter 14/Episode 6: Miu does it while lying on the bed because holding it in is temporarily preferable to entering the bathroom without a Varia Suit.
- Maruko in one of the Chibi Maruko Chan manga issues, where she starts doing "the duck walk".
- Izzy in the second part of Digimon The Movie (though his reason why depends on whether you're watching the dub or original -- either Tai's mom's cooking kicked in or Koushiro simply drank too much).
- In Elfen Lied, Lucy (as Nyuu) does this before finally just going on the floor.
- Magical Doremi has an episode with this pose.
- In volume 2 of Tokyopop's Warcraft Legends manga, a little girl does this in the story "Family Values."
- In Season 2, Episode 2 of Those Who Hunt Elves the main characters ran out of toilet paper. This trope is occurs during the resulting Potty Emergency. Given the nature of the show, Hilarity Ensues.
- Mikan often end up doing this in Go! Go! Itsutsugo Land. She never makes it...
- Since this is (of course) Fetish Fuel for some, there are pictures/fan art on the internet describing both the event and the act itself. Places where these are posted on Imageboards are called "Desperation Threads".
- In FernGully: The Last Rainforest Remix, Usagi does this after drinking a lemonade
- Happened to Chibiusa in Anastasia Remix.
Sulley: That's a cute little dance you got there, it's almost like you gotta...
Boo: *squeals desperately*
*cut to Sulley standing outside a stall whistling*
Film: Live Action
- Blazing Saddles: When Taggart gets an idea he gets excited and jumps around. Hedley Lamarr thinks he's doing one of these.
- Bronson Pinchot does this in a film called Second Sight, except it's an extremely elaborate dance they call the peepee dance. He plays a psychic who is channeling someone else who has to pee.
- Mentioned in The Great Muppet Caper; Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo are developing pictures to catch a jewel thief, but they do it in the Happiness Hotel's only restroom. As Pops says, "Catch him in another room! We got people dancin' up an' down on one leg out here!"
- According to Robert Parrish's autobiography (he was one of the Little Rascals), they called this a European, or You're a'-Peein'.
- Fregly in Diary of a Wimpy Kid reportedly does this while screaming "JUICE!! JUUUUIIIICE!!!!" as part of his bizarre use of slang.
Live Action Television
- The Love Boat: Isaac does this when forced to share a cabin (and a bathroom) with the other male crew.
- In The Revenge Files Of Alistair Fury a boy does this whilst waiting outside the toilet while Alistair and his friends are holding a meeting inside it. (He doesn't make it).
- Spoofed in Malcolm in the Middle where Dewey's way of charming their babysitter is to bounce up and down singing "Poopy poopy poopy" over and over.
- The Sims: Sims do this and yell at the player to get their attention so the player can direct them to the restroom.
- In Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2 park guests with a high enough bathroom score change their normal walking animation into a frenetic one of these, particularly if your park's bathrooms are poorly placed or if you're evil enough to charge to use the bathroom.
- In Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, the park guests do this when their Toilet meter is high.
- In the Tamagotchi PC Pack game, all the Tamagotchi except for Kuchipatchi and Ichigotchi do this when you say the command "Use the bathroom" through the microphone.
- Final Fantasy VII features in NPC at the Wall Market bar doing one of these while waiting for a sick bar patron to finish up.
- Futurama: Bender does it briefly in Bender's Big Score after drinking a bunch of beers, lampshades comments on the lunacy of a robot having to go to the bathroom.
- Recess: Mikey, after T.J. makes him drink water from a hosepipe.
- An unnamed Water Tribe boy does this in the second episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Wakko during the Potty Emergency Trope Namer Animaniacs cartoon.
- Homer Simpson does this after drinking way too much crab juice in The Simpsons.
- Otto is mesmerized by Ralph's Potty Dance in "How The Test Was Won".
- Loopy did this in Ka Blam! due to Larry being in the bathroom too long...he recently got muscular, and was admiring himself.
- King Julien in The Penguins of Madagascar remarks in "Friend In A Box" that he never learned "that dance." Being the king, he just goes wherever he is. Kowalski takes two steps away from Julien upon hearing that.
- Dot's cousin Margot in the "Dot." episode "Margot La Magnifique" does this 4m20s in saying she has to pee in french, and Dot's app translates this as "I have to pee pee"
- The Green Apple Quicksteps card from Shadowrun, which removes an enemy runner from play for a turn.
- In Legoland in Windsor near one of the toilets, there are two Legomen doing this.
- Truth in Television for just about every toddler on the planet.
- There's an old joke saying that tapdancing was invented by a man called Stepan Stepanovich who was inspired by the unusual dances his family performed every time he occupied the toilet for too long.