|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ima sine your pity on the runny kine.
Pootie Tang is a 2001 Blaxploitation Affectionate Parody written and directed by Louis CK. Based on a character who originally appeared on the Chris Rock show, Pootie Tang is an unintelligible urban folk hero who whups people with his magic belt. The head of corporate America doesn't like the fact that Pootie's public service announcements have persuaded children to stop buying tobacco, fast food and malt liquor. So he sics his unlikely Femme Fatale girlfriend on Pootie to bring the man down a notch. It's up to Pootie and his main girl, Biggie Shortie, to get Pootie's groove back and stop Corporate America from using Pootie's likeness to corrupt the children.
The world wasn't ready for Pootie Tang. Largely derided when it first came out, the film now enjoys a small cult following.
Contains Examples Of
- Achilles Heel: Pootie's is hos.
- Affectionate Parody
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome: Pootie's belt. So much so that the villains attempt to take it off him in hopes that he is powerless without it, like Sampson. It doesn't work.
- Army Of Mooks: The Pootie-alikes at the end.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "There are a lot of evils in this world, Pootie. Drugs, crime, gorillas."
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin': Pootie's dad's belt can appear out of nowhere and smack Pootie for trying to steal an apple.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Dick Leckter
- Corrupt Hick: subverted with the sheriff.
- Don't Make Me Take My Belt Off: Played for comedy. Pootie's dad whupped him with his magic belt if he did anything wrong, and that same belt becomes the source of Pootie's power once he grows up.
- Bastard Understudy: Dave Atell's character.
- Blaxploitation: parodied.
- Department of Redundancy Department: And you know what? Lacey's pretty redundant, too.
- Destination Defenestration: Only Pootie is thrown through a window into a house.
- Double Standard Rape (Female on Male): Young Pootie's exploits with grown-ass ladies.
- Erotic Eating
- Framing Device: The entire movie is allegedly a clip played during an interview with Bob Costas.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood
- Improbable Weapon User: belt.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: You never know what Pootie's saying, but you always know what he means.
- Kavorka Man: To the viewers, it makes no sense that Pootie is so beloved by the ladies.
- Large Ham: Dirty D, dammit!
- Last Request: Pootie's dad makes him promise not to let the ladies get a hold of his belt.
- Magic Feather: Pootie's belt.
- Man On the Street Interview: To show reactions to Pootie's selling out and leaving the city.
- One-Scene Wonder: David Cross
- Painting the Fourth Wall: Trucky's narration.
- The Pig Pen: Dirty D
- Prehensile Hair: Pootie's can deflect bullets.
- Sex Heel Turn: Trucky betrays Pootie's secrets for this.
- Shotgun Wedding
- Too Kinky to Torture: "You can't hit a ho with a belt, they like that shit!"
- The Unintelligible
- Villain with Good Publicity: Dick Leckter
- Walk the Earth: Well, really just a farm.
- Weapon of Choice: Pootie's belt.
- World of Ham