|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Like everything else produced from Charles Bhepin's pen, it's initially well written, epic and deeply weird. This version of Shinji is the last survivor after Third Impact and, apparently, the last living being on his Earth. His self-loathing is vast, his AT-Field is strong, and Halkeginia has no idea what just hit it.
As of chapter 6, Bhepin has declared the fic dead, spoiled the rest of this version of the story, and started work on a rewrite, titled Surrogate of Zero, promising "A smaller scope, a tighter narrative, less innuendo." Discussion threads for Surrogate at Spacebattles.com can be found here and here.
See Neon Genesis Evangelion and Zero no Tsukaima for the tropes of those respective universes.
Points of Familiarity provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: Shinji has a spectacular number of issues.
- Aristocrats Are Evil:
- Siesta believes this about nobles in general.
- Count Mott actually is.
- The Atoner: Shinji.
- Badass: Tabitha challenges Shinji, then proceeds to battle him to a savage draw, because she did not take kindly to him hitting Kirche for any reason.
- Beehive Barrier: The AT-Field
- The Berserker: Shinji in combat, if he lets himself.
- Badass Boast: This is a Bhepin fic. Badass Boasts are guaranteed.
- Blood Magic: The production of the Masks.
- Chef of Iron: Shinji.
- Child Soldier: Tabitha's background, apparently.
- Death by Childbirth: It's strongly implied that the reason Shinji is completely alone before he's summoned is because this happened to Asuka.
- Dead Fic
- Death Seeker: Shinji
- Eccentric Mentor: Old Osmond, apparently.
- Fingore: Shinji severs one of his fingers and uses the bones as the raw material for the Angel masks.
- Knife Nut
- Magic Versus Science / Magitek: The mysterious faction of "Sasaki" and Roland.
- Mask of Power: Worn during the "assault" on Count Mott.
- Mind Hive: The Well of Souls.
- Powers as Programs: Somewhat more literally than usual. ->PROGRAM LOAD: Hokuto Shin Ke-
- Rape as Drama: Played with, and then played straight. Shinji offers himself (yes, in that way) to Count Mott in exchange for Siesta, but is turned down. Later, Mott forces Siesta to give him a blowjob.
- Sharing a Body: The Well of Souls consists of every human that was alive at the moment of Third Impact. However, it is (hilariously) represented by the people closest to Shinji in life. Like Kensuke Aida.
- Shout-Out: Tons.
- Soul Power: AT-Field WTFHAX is thoroughly incompatible with Halkeginian magic.
- Take That: To Fullmetal Alchemist: "They have the Philosopher's Stone as a basic lesson. Equivalent Exchange my ass!"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Kirche and Louise, after the Tabitha-Shinji Duel of Awesome.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Shinji is so far out of his mind with despair that he's practically come full circle back to sanity.
- Would Hit a Girl: Neither Shinji nor certain ... personages within the Well of Souls take kindly to Kirche's attempts at seduction.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: The faction within the Well of Souls that is most willing to give Shinji unlimited power ... is led by Lorenz Keel.