|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- Zaius was originally going to be played by Edward G Robinson, but his ill health did not mix well with the heavy makeup, and the part had to go to Maurice Evans.
- Also, Linda Harrison played Zira in early makeup test footage, but was later cast as the human Nova.
- Charlton Heston's voice during his famous "get your dirty paws off me" speech was made more realistic by the fact Heston was quite ill during filming of the scene.
- The early scripts for the movie had a closer resemblence to Pierre Boulle's novel, but budget constraints forced the change to the primitive ape society of the film.
- Pierre Boule wrote a sequel draft called 'Planet Of The Men', which can be seen at Hunter's POTA Archive website (just Google it). It involves Nova and Taylor having a son named Sirius, who eventually leads a human uprising. The apes lose their intelligence and are back to being animals by the end. The last scene has Zaius doing tricks in a cage in a circus.
- Interestingly, there was a sort of segregation behind the scenes during filming; the chimpanzee actors ate with other chimps, gorillas with gorillas, and orangutans with orangutans.
- Once, some of the gorilla actors rode from the makeup area to the set in a convertible with the top down, wearing their full gorilla makeup, wigging out some observers on the way.
- The Statue Of Liberty scene was based on a scene from an earlier sci-fi story.
- The first film's script was written by Twilight Zone's Rod Serling.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.