|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
It is a nice summer day, a group of friends decide to go on a picnic, where they pack up a basket full of food consisting of sandwiches, cookies, lemonade, potato chips, pies, cakes, etc. and head out, usually to the outdoors, whether a garden, a park, countryside, or even into the wild.
When they get their picnic all set up, most of the time, you can expect them to face setbacks such as ants that want to steal the food or bad weather in the midst of it.
- In Snoopy Come Home, Peppermint Patty mentions to Snoopy that they will have a picnic on the beach. However, the picnic does not come to fruition the next day, because Snoopy got thrown off the beach, due to a rule about there being no dogs allowed.
- A weeklong story arc of Garfield strips had Jon and Garfield go on a picnic, that was immediately spoiled by strong winds, ants that ate Jon's cherry pie, and to top it off in the end, a rainstorm.
- Similarly, a 2007 strip had Jon and Liz about to have a picnic, which immediately became non-existent when they realized that Garfield stowed away and ate all of the food in the basket before Jon even left the driveway. Needless to say, both Jon and Liz were not very happy when they were forced to go to a dorky drive-thru restaurant instead.
- The classic children's book Picnic was Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- In Ian Fleming's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the Pott family flies to the Godwin Sands in the English Channel for a picnic. Unfortunately they fall asleep and the tide comes in. It's a good thing the title car can change into a hoverdraft.
- In the Berenstein Bears book The Bears' Picnic, the bears set out to find "the perfect picnic spot". Place after place proves unsatisfactory, and then a thunderstorm comes up. They finally just eat their picnic at the kitchen table.
- The As Time Goes By episode "The Picnic".
- In Our Little Adventure, a celestial family finds theirs interrupted by a planeshift spell. Confirming Died Happily Ever After.
- A few Classic Disney Shorts involved Mickey and friends having a picnic.
- The Garfield and Friends episode "The Picnic Panic" combined this with Musical Episode. Jon and Garfield sang about the misfortune that befell them during the picnic, due to a colony of ants that kept stealing their food. The ants even got their own Ear Worm chorus during the song.
- The Looney Tunes short, Porky's Picnic. Porky Pig, his girlfriend Petunia and baby nephew Pinky go on a picnic. They don't actually get to eat anything because Pinky wanders off to the zoo and gets in trouble.
- Tom and Jerry episode "Pup on a Picnic". Spike and Tyke go on a picnic with Tom and Jerry as uninvited guests.
- In Tom and Jerry Kids, Spike and Tyke try to have a picnic but get attacked by army ants that are trying to steal their food.
- The Pink Panther episode "Sprinkle Me Pink". The panther goes on a picnic, but a cloud pours rain on him every time he opens his picnic basket.
- The Ant and the Aardvark. In the first episode, Charlie Ant tries to get food from the Aardvark's picnic.
- In the Pac-Man episode "Picnic in Pacland", the Ghost Monsters try to disrupt the Pac-Family's picnic.