|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Miu Nomura loves to play the piano, which she has done since she was a little girl. Once she grows into a teenager, she has to deal with all kinds of new feelings, most of which are triggered by her upperclassman Takahashi, for whom she harbors a deep crush. She is way too shy and introverted though to approach him, but she gets help from Yuuki, who is her best friend by far. Yuuki is a sporty and outgoing girl who is on the same school track team as Takahashi and her own crush, Takizawa.
Piano: The Melody of a Young Girl's Heart, consisting of 10 episodes which aired in 2002, deals with Miu's development into a young woman. It mainly depicts her struggle with her inability to show her emotions, which even starts affecting her piano-playing. Through up and downs in her relationships with her piano teacher, her family and her friends, she finds out what her music and the people around her mean to her.
- Anime Hair: Miu's hair style is a tad odd.
- Anime Theme Song: An appropriate lovely piano piece by Ayako Kawasumi--who is also Miu's voice actress.
- But Now I Must Go: Shirakawa-sensei.
- Coming of Age Story
- Genki Girl: Yuuki, sort of.
- Happily Married: Miu's parents.
- Hot Mom: Miu's mother Hitomi qualifies.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The episodes names are musical terms, starting with "con", indicating how something has to be played.
- Left Hanging: The viewer never finds out how Miu's piano recital went, let alone what happens after it.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Miu apparently knows nothing about her sister's past with her piano teacher.
- MacGuffin: Miu's self-composed piano piece, which the viewer never gets to hear in the end.
- Onee-Sama: Akiko, Miu's older sister.
- Slice of Life
- Teen Drama: The mild variety.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Yuuki and Miu