|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"How's it goin', bros? My name is PeeewDiePie!"
Felix Kjellberg, better known as PewDiePie, is a Swedish YouTuber and the second-most subscribed channel on all of YouTube with over 100 million subscribers. He holds the record for being the most subscribed YouTube channel for the longest time, holding the title from 2013 after surpassing Smosh (although he lost the title to YouTube Spotlight a few times in 2013) to 2019, when he was overtaken by the Indian music company T-Series.
PewDiePie was originally best known for his Let's Plays of horror games. His reactions, recurring "Characters" usually resulting in Funny Schizophrenia, and general randomness got him a fairly large audience. His Amnesia the Dark Descent Let's Play, where most of his recurring "characters", the most popular ones being Stephano, Mr. Chair, and the Barrels came from, was also were he attracted most of his earliest fans, which he called his "Bro Army". It was this time period when PewDiePie became the most subscribed channel on YouTube.
In later years, he started gaining more attention from his various series, including Meme Review and LWIAY ("Last Week I Asked You", named after the "Yesterday I Asked You" series by jacksfilms). In 2018-2019, he gained more attention from the "PewDiePie vs. T-Series" feud, in which many users told people to subscriber to PewDiePie in an attempt to keep him the most subscribed on YouTube. In 2019, he started to return to gaming with his popular Minecraft let's play series.
He was elected King of the Web, and donated his prize money to the World Wildlife Fund.
Tropes included in PewDiePie's videos
His Let's Play videos include instances of:
This section includes tropes related to what are often considered his classic videos, from the early 2010s.
- Zero-Percent Approval Rating: Barrels, Statues, Teleporting Naked Guys, Poofers and Ruben.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Pew is certain that the ghost from the ventilation shaft in Exmortis 2 wanted to make out with him. Jennifer is an immobile one.
- Accidental Aiming Skills: How he once managed to chop off the head of a man with one swipe of an axe while flying out of his chair in fright.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Neither Jennifer or Piggeh get the love they want from Pewdie, no matter how often they try.
- All Men Are Perverts: Stephano once slept with a Bro's girlfriend, Pewdie admires the asses of the grunts and any female he comes across, and Piggeh often tries to seduce Pew.
- Amusing Injuries: His tendency to kick his table when he gets scared. Most notably when reading the story of the Bong Chong Dong ghost.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: Piggeh got stuck with his head in a chest twice, and hoped that Pewdie would take advantage of the situation. He was disappointed.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: His little rhyme, while being Swedish in origin, means absolutely nothing. It's basically a nonsensical children's rhyme for a counting game.
- Ascended Fangirl: His girlfriend (now wife), CutiePie AKA Marzia, was originally just a fan he would talk to over Facebook
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: He's always making at least two playthroughs at a time.
- Atomic F-Bomb: In episode 27 of his Calling playthrough.
"AHH! NO I'm sorry I didn't mean to do it! Please don't kill me! NO NO NO AH PLEASE! NOOOOOOOOOO I DIDN'T SAAAAAVE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!"
- Ax Crazy: When the game he plays allows him to be insane(r), he will try it out.
- Literally with his Condemned LP and the fire axe.
- Knife Nut: He seems to have the most fun with knives.
YOU SPEAK CHOPNESE!?
- Bad Santa: A really sadistic Santa in Happy Wheels.
- Berserk Button: The mere sight of BARRELS!
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Pewdie and Stephano are apparently well equipped, but Pewdie seems to brag about it more frequently.
- Big Name Fan: Notch recently said that he watches his videos, and when Pewdie asked if he was a Bro, he answered "Sure why not :D"
- Big No: Sometimes even in Swedish.
- Big Word Shout: He was prone to shouting "STEPHANOOO!" and "PIGGEEH!" almost everytime he encountered them in earlier playthroughs.
- Though his most well known is whenever he sees BARRELS!
- Big Yes: He dropped many during the Ao Oni playthrough whenever he managed to escape from the titular Oni.
- Bilingual Bonus: The Italian spoken at the menuscreen in the playthrough of Afraid of Monsters. Pewdie didn't know what was said either.
- Anytime he finds Martin or a policecar, he will speak Swedish.
- Black Comedy
- Borrowed Catchphrase
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In one of his own custom mods.
"You wake up with a pounding head, a slight pain in your neck and a swollen penis."
- Letting Piggeh talk for too long causes this.
- Buxom Is Better: Rebecca from Nosferatu strongly motivated him to play the game.
- Catch Phrase: "My name is PeeeeewDiePiiieee!"
- "I DON'T CAAAAARRRRE" for Irresponsible Dad.
- Piggeh has "I'm Pumped!" and "Yeaaahh."
- Stephano says "Hello, Pewdie" so often that it could be considered his catchphrase.
- Catchphrase Spouting Duo: Pewdie and any character he manages to get hold of.
- Character Development: Piggeh has learned how to be a little less perverted in more recent playthroughts, even if he occasionally lets his suggestions slip. It also turns out that Pewdie and Stephano have feelings for each other.
- The little boy in Happy Wheels has becoming more and more deviant towards his dad, and additionally more cynical like the rest of the cast. Also, Irresponsible Dad never says his other trademark catchphrase, "DON'T SWEAR IN MY PRESENCE!", each time the boy swears like he used to. Probably because he REALLY doesn't care anymore.
- Christmas Episode: Pewdie was the first person to try the first Christmas themed mod for Amnesia.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Pewdie invokes this heavily, whenever he isn't in the company of one of his many "friends." See Companion Cube below
- Cluster F-Bomb: Used liberally when being chased.
- He's also been swearing more in Swedish lately, using curses like "Fan!" ("Fuck", literally "The Devil") and "Helvete!" ("Goddamnit", literally "Hell").
- Companion Cubes: Stephano is a "talking" golden statue that shares most of Pewdie's fan art, and is usually found early on in custom stories made specifically for him. It's worth noting that before he had ever picked up that statue, he would sometimes carry a human skull, Skully, who shared the same exact voice, before being overshadowed by Stephano. When Stephano is otherwise unavailable, Pewdie seeks the company of a diverse array of other characters, such as Piggeh (a dead pig), Mr. Chair (a chair) and Jennifer (a rock).
- Crossover: Pewdie played Dead Island together with Morfar, another Swedish Let's Player with a similar fan-artistic, yet smaller, fanbase.
- He also played the Co-op mode of Cry of Fear together with Cry, aka Chaoticmonki.
- The Cutie: His girlfriend, CutiePie.
- De Fictionalisation: A Bro sent him a real Stephano statue for Christmas 2011.
- He's also received a Barrel candy.
- Disproportionate Retribution: During his LP of Siren:
"Oh no, you scared my dog! YOU WILL DIE FOR THIS!"
- Distracted by the Sexy: Frequently, if he manages to catch a glimpse of a grunt's butt.
- His first goal in Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi was to find Rebecca and her titties.
- He agreed that "Santas wife" was a beautiful woman.
- Motorboating Sophies titties in Cry of Fear was decidedly something he wanted to do.
- Death Is a Slap on The Wrist: Jennifer and the Bro in general have no problem returning again and again after death.
- The Dog Bites Back: In Happy Wheels, JB has started lashing out against his dad.
- Driven to Suicide/Suicide as Comedy: He once got so surprised by a jumpscare in one of his Amnesia LPs that he jumped out the window and killed himself in-game.
- Epic Fail: One jumpscare in Ao Oni had him jumping in fright, alt-tabbing out of the game, revealing the walkthrough he was using. In general, jump scares leave his leg in pain a lot, especially in the reading of Bongcheon Dong Ghost were he had to get a pillow in case another jump scare happened during the reading. He was right.
- In general, first person jump scares is something Pewdie is terrible at, but even moreso First Person Platform Jumping. Once, he wound up hitting the "record" button by mistake as a result, which meant about a minute of game footage wasn't recorded (his webcam, however was still on record).
- Mr. Fanservice: Pewdie, both in- and out-of-universe. But in-universe, it's usually not the girls who are after him...
- Everyone Is Bi: It appears to be so with every male character.
- Extreme Omnisexual: Piggeh. He'll even put the moves on barrels.
- Failed a Spot Check: The greatest problem Pewdie has while playing Afraid of Monsters. By far.
- Fan Nickname: Literally, his fans are known as "Bros", sharing the same name as the nicknamed Amnesia enemies. He also tend to call the skullhand from Afraid of Monsters "Ruben", and then there's all the other characters he's made up.
- Follow the Leader: To be blunt: a shitload of Swedish newbie Let's Players have popped up, and all of them advertise themselves in comments on Pewdie's videos. All Swedes.
- Full-Frontal Assault: TELEPORTING NAKED GUYS! And nipple guys from Afraid of Monsters.
- Freudian Excuse: The reason Irresponsible Dad is so....irresponsible towards his son is because Santa didn't give him any presents during his childhood.
- Freudian Slip: Usually when reading letters and journals.
- Giver of Lame Names: QWOP named his cat Rickulus, if Pewdie is to be believed.
- "Glad to Be Alive" Sex: Pewdie wanted to make babies with Stephano after surviving House of Creeps 3. Stephano reacted with disgust and anger... but after 15 seconds he said the exact same thing to Pewdie.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Has a habit of slipping back into Swedish and, oddly enough, Spanish and French.
- Heroic BSOD: See Relax-O-Vision.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: Pewdie and Stephano. Or is there more to the relationship?
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Many items, because Pewdie won't thoroughly check a room unless he is playing an Amnesia mod.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Most of the jokes in his Happy Wheels videos revolve around this.
- Interspecies Romance: Piggeh wants some with Pewdie, but so far has only enjoyed the company of everything but Pewdie.
- Irresponsible Dad: Up to Eleven with Pewdie's voice over.
Son: Dad, I lost my arm!
Pewdie: I nearly collapsed in a vagina!
- I Will Wait for You: Something both Stephano and Piggeh have endured.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Skully claims to have been attractive once. Now he's a skull with two fleshy legs.
- Jump Scare: A victim of many of them. With a camera recording his fear in all its glory, too! Some viewers might get scared along with him.
- Bros have reported being frightened whenever he shouts BARRELS!
- Kick the Dog: His Calling LP was loaded with him saying how he didn't care about Reiko, who was already Driven to Suicide.
- Lucky Translation: The statues have been known to shout "Hallo!", which means "hello" in German. It's pronounced almost exactly like the Swedish "Hallå!", which has the same meaning. What makes this so lucky is that during one of these custom stories, he promised to speak only in Swedish!
- Made of Explodium: A series of shelves with chemicals in part three of Ghost Hunt. Cue explosion and ringing.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: When he and his girlfriend play Amnesia together. While Pewdie Screams Like a Little Girl, she laughs.
- Mind Screw: The Small Horse arc. Even Pewdie has no clue what the hell he's playing.
- Non-Indicative Name: Piggeh is actually a snake, according to one playthrough of an Amnesia mod.
- The "statues" that he blames so often while playing Amnesia are actually suits of armour.
- Oddly enough, he refers to them by proper name in one of his montages.
- The "statues" that he blames so often while playing Amnesia are actually suits of armour.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Nothing Piggeh has tried in a attempt to seduce Pewdie has suceeded.
- Notice This: The only thing that can guarantee that Pewdie find items in some of the games.
- Not Quite Dead: Irresponsible Dad and JB can still talk even after being decapitated or turned into Ludicrous Gibs.
- One-Scene Wonder: Averted with all the character he made for the objects; he speak with them everytime he can, and anything that bears a resemblence to them too.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Whenever he breaks character, it will be because he is genuinely scared. The second part of the Afraid of Monsters playthrough has him terrified for minutes.
- Rhyming with Itself:
I know you love me, I don't care
- Relax-O-Vision: Invoked in his playthrough of the Amnesia mod House of Creep 3 - he gets so spooked by the sheer amount of Teleporting Naked Guys in the hallway, he has to quit the game and look up pictures of kittens. And he does this all on-camera.
- Not the only time he's done it. He refers to it as "Kitten Therapy"
- Running Gag: Shouting LOL while playing Calling. Also, holding the computer mouse to his ear as if it was a phone. Shouting "RABRABRABRABRABRABRABRABRABRABRABRAB!!!" whenever having to shake off a ghost, as well.
- "Stop wasting your lantern Pewdie!"
- It might be unintentional, but Stephano gets knocked into objects frequently.
- Sanity Slippage: Pewdie's second playthrough of SCP-087-B may be the closest time he's come to being completely traumatised. Towards the end, he starts whimpering and begging for the game to stop, and when he reaches the final scare, he runs out of the room screaming.
- Screams Like a Little Girl
- Schmuck Bait: He just HAD to check out a coffin... only to find a key in it... with a TELEPORTING NAKED GUY RIGHT BEHIND HIM!
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Piggy or Peggeh? Or Piggeh?
- Tempting Fate: Lampshaded
We're good. No... no, I should never say we're good, 'cause then we're always fucked.
- The Scapegoat: Barrels and statues are not always the cause of Pewdie's misfortune, but always get hated and blamed for everything with passion.
- Title Drop: The title of each of his episodes are usually dropped somewhere in the episode.
- Too Dumb to Live: Occasionally crosses into this territory with particularly obvious blunders, resulting in near (in-game) death.
- Too Much Information: Piggeh is never too ashamed to tell Pewdie about his post-death coitus.
- Self Fanservice: While Pewdie isn't unattractive by any means, he's not the typical Bishonen he's usually depicted as in fanart either.
- Subverted Catchphrase: It turns out that brandishing a hammer will just make Smashnese.
- Suddenly Voiced: A certain German creator of custom stories for Pew has the statues greet him. HALLO FREUNDE!
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: After a jump cut, he will categorically deny that he looked up a walkthrough.
- Thinking Out Loud: Unlike most Let's Players, Pewdie says everything that comes to mind.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Pewdie's rendition of the Irresponsible Dad from Happy Wheels is a homophobic, abusive, uncaring Jerkass. Yet everything he says is hilarious.
- Unusual Dysphemism: He likes saying "penis" in place of random words.
- There is no color called red; only period.
- Violation of Common Sense: During his Cry of Fear playthrough:
"Should I really go down here? I don't think it's a good idea... but let's do it anyway!"
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: "Chair Mode Activated. Boop."
- However, due to various invocations of Artificial Stupidity, this sometimes turns into Heart Is an Awesome Power.
- In Ao Oni, it seems like Chair Mode either kills Pewdie and the Ao Oni, or just the Oni, depending on whether or not Pewdie is in the room. If that's not Heart Is an Awesome Power, I don't know what is.
His Minecraft videos include instances of
- Dead Guy, Junior: After an animal dies, PewDiePie often names a new animal of the same species after it, adding a number or other title to it.
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: "[Animal that recently died] was like a father to me."
- Surprise Incest: PewDiePie made Sven breed with the mysterious dog/wolf he named DEEEP, not realizing the dog was actually Sven's son until commenters pointed it out.
- ↑ which is actually his segway