|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Season 1, Episode 9:
Reese: Your life's in danger.
Carter: I'm a cop. My life's always in danger.
With Detective Carter bull-headedly sticking her nose into various cases and continuing to investigate the rise of Elias as one of New York's most influential crime figures, it's no surprise to Reese and Finch when her number comes up. The pair dig deeper into Carter's life and background and learn that there's no shortage of people who might want her dead; chief among them is Elias himself, who has allied himself with "HR", a loose infrastructure of New York's corrupt cops and city officials that want to put the "organised" back in "organised crime" (and get paid, of course). With Reese and Finch watching her back, Carter tries to solve a gang killing and intervenes in a domestic dispute, unaware that Elias has decreed she be dead by the end of the day.
Tropes present in this episode include
- A Day in the Limelight: For Detective Carter, this week's POI. We learn she served in Iraq and has a deceased husband and a teenage son.
- Flash Back: To Carter's time as an army interrogater in Iraq.
- Arc Words: "You can't play God."
- Bulletproof Vest: Saves's Carter's bacon long enough for Reese to intervene.
- Last-Name Basis: Carter insists on it.
- Rescued From the Scrappy Heap: Carter was the least popular part of the show's ensemble until this episode, which redeemed her in the eyes of many viewers.
- Rogues Gallery Showcase: "HR" is introduced as working with Elias, who makes a brief cameo.