|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Perrier's Bounty is a 2010 Irish crime thriller comedy in the tradition of I Went Down directed by Ian Fitzgibbon and starring Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Jim Broadbent and Jodie Whittaker.
Michael McCrea (Murphy) is a low level Dublin ne'er-do-well and sometime crook who is unable to repay a loan to local crime boss Perrier (Gleeson). After Perrier unleashes his thugs Michael is forced to flee aided only by his neighbour Brenda (Whittaker) and estranged father Jim (Broadbent) - who is convinced that the Grim Reaper himself has forewarned his death.
- Affably Evil: Perrier.
- Black and Grey Morality
- Crapsack World: Played for laughs.
- Cycle of Revenge: A reoccuring theme in the movie. Michael had a falling out with his parents when the guy he beat up for hurting a woman came back and assault his mother in revenge.
- Even Evil Has Standards: For a gangster evil enough to kill dogs, Perrier's is surprisingly against Discrimination against Gays.
- Fake Irish: Jim Broadbent. Jodie Whittaker might be a semi-example - she uses her own accent so presumably Brenda is meant to be English but no dialogue actually refers to her nationality suggesting the character might have been originally written as Irish and changed when Whittaker couldn't manage an Irish accent.
- Gayngster: Ivan and Orlando.
- Hard Gay: Ivan and Orlando.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Liam Cunningham (The Mutt) and Pádraic Delaney (Shamie) have worked alongside Cillian Murphy before.
- Perrier is Mad-Eye Moody.
- In Dublin's Fair City
- Karmic Death: Perrier is savaged by dogs.
- Kick the Dog: Perrier shoots two dogs that are annoying him to remind the audience that he is not a nice man. It's arguably actually needed as up until then he wasn't much less sympathetic than our heroes.
- Last Kiss: Michael and Brenda share this before he heads off to rescue his father from Perrier. Thankfully it didn't take.
- Narrator: An unidentified one. Until the end when we we find it's Death himself.
- No Name Given: Liam Cunningham's character is only ever called 'The Mutt', even by himself. This is a nod to real life Irish crooks like 'The Monk' (Gerry Hutch) or 'The General' (Martin Cahill) who were known for their nicknames. There is a reason the Mutt's name is so unflattering.
- Not Named in Opening Credits: Gabriel Bryne is The Grim Reaper.
- WTH Casting: Jim Broadbent as Cillian Murphy's father! He's not actually bad but the casting is pretty out there...
- Your Mileage May REALLY Vary, I guess. This troper thought they played wonderfully off each other. And they do both have those bright blue eyes....