|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Created by (but not directly based on the cartooning of) John Callahan, Pelswick was a show that was produced by Nelvana, and was shown on CBC Television and Nickelodeon starting in 2000 (it was originally aired alongside As Told by Ginger) , and ran for two seasons. The show was about Pelswick Eggert, a teenage boy who struggled with the average problems that teenagers have, such as trying to decide between impressing a girl and going with his gut feelings, and dealing with bullies, while also being in a wheelchair.
In 2004, FUNimation decided that they wanted to release Pelswick on DVD, but were unable to because of the low fanbase.
This show contains examples of:
- Accidental Aesop: In-universe: Mr. Jimmy did not intend the Aesop, "You are taking something that is not that bad and covering it up with a lot of things that are worse" in the dance episode; he just really wanted to cover his bald spot.
- Adults Are Useless
- Ambiguously Gay: Vice Principal Zeigler.
- An Aesop: Every episode.
- Black Best Friend: Sandra.
- Buccaneer Broadcaster: One episode focuses on Pelswick starting up a pirate radio station after his favorite station was bought out by a car salesman just to advertise his dealership. Pelswick's dad was a literal one during his youth, too.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Goon and Vice-Principal Zeigler.
- Cool Old Lady: Gram-Gram.
- Erudite Stoner: Mr. Jimmy.
- Evil Redhead: Boyd.
- GIRL: Pelswick's friends warn him about the dangers of online dating, and say that the "girl" could be a guy; in this particular case, Vice Principal Zeigler.
- Guilty Pleasure: N*Talented is this for Pelswick until he finds out who is really playing.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Julie.
- Hype Aversion: N*Talented for the male students is an in-universe example.
- I Thought It Meant: Played with, when Boyd's toady mistakes the word "peculiar" for "perpendicular".
- Jerkass: Boyd.
- Lethal Chef:
- Pelswick's little sister, Kate. Justified Trope though, because she's eight.
- Gram Gram counts, too. In one episode, she made chili so hot that Pelswick used it to make a wet cell battery for a science project, since he wasn't able to get sulfuric acid.
- Made in Country X: Pelswick remarks that his dad's radio equipment is so old that it was made in America.
- Meaningful Name: Goon, Ace to a lesser extent.
- My Beloved Smother: Technically a grandmother, but Agnes is this to Boyd.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: N*Talented.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Sometimes played for laughs.
- Power Trio: Pelswick the ego, Goon the id, and Ace the superego.
- Revolving Door Band: N*Talented constantly changes their lineup, with Mitch being the only one still remaining.
- Self-Deprecation: Pelswick has been known to do this on occasion.
- Tastes Like Feet: Pelswick's response to Kate's lethal cooking, which was later verified by Mr. Jimmy.
- That Poor Car: Gram Gram was said to snore so loud that it set off all the car alarms on the street.
- The Danza: Julie is voiced by Julie Lemieux.
- The Man Behind the Curtain: N*Talented are actually just lip-syncing to an old band.
- Trap Door Fail: Because the trap door wasn't wheelchair-accessible.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Pelswick is this to Julie.