|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Momo has had a crush on Toji for years, but has kept it a secret for years on account of a rumor that Toji considered dark skin and blond hair to be a turn-off. Her first time telling someone about this crush was during the course of turning down Kairi, unknowingly within earshot of Toji and Sae. Toji confessed his love to Momo, they got together, Sae used assorted Magnificent Bastardry to try to break them up and generally make Momo's life miserable, Kairi consistently proves a Spanner in the Works to Sae's schemes, and Momo starts falling for Kairi.
And it gets even more confusing from there.
This show provides examples of:
- Aesop Amnesia: Dear God, Sae is this trope. After being turned down by the guy she's claimed to love (at the time), being victimized by her former victims, and being treated as a friend by MOMO, given enough time, she goes back to her jealous manipulative ways.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Momo is bullied by Sae for the majority of the story, though Sae lies to people about this, trying to make it seem like it's Momo who's bullying her. Also, Momo is put down by her classmates and other people for having tan skin and
bleachedred hair, because they believe this means she is a kogal.
- Alpha Bitch: Sae.
- Attempted Rape: Both Momo and Sae have been victims of this, arguably.
- Attention Whore: Sae.
- Bishonen: Jigoro, Toji, Kairi, and Ryo.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Sae is one of the greatest examples of this trope in all of anime.
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Chivalrous Pervert: Kairi.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Momo towards Toji at times. Sae is much more aggressive about this towards any guy that captures her attention, namely Toji and Ryo. Also, both Toji and Kairi could be seen as male versions of this trope in regards to Momo, and Jigoro to Sae.
- Then there's Kairi's bitchy trio of Clingy Jealous Girl's who hold nothing but pure hatred towards Momo.
- Covert Pervert: Momo, even though she violently berates Kairi for his perverted tendencies, it has been suggested that she is secretly perverted herself.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Momo, as a result of her dedication to the swim team.
- Fan Service: Much more of this in the manga than in the anime.
- Fille Fatalons: Sae stands out among other things for her long nails, and they enhance her association with being manipulative and devious.
- Foe Yay; Les Yay: Much subtext between Sae and Momo despite -or possibly because of- their hatred towards each other.
- Green-Eyed Monster: This defines Sae.
- Hidden Eyes
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: At least twice each for Toji and Kairi.
- It Meant Something to Me
- Love Dodecahedron
- Manipulative Bitch: Sae, again.
- Megaton Punch: Momo, frequently to Kairi.
- More Than Mind Control: Sae loves doing this.
- Puss in Boots: This is about as Face as Sae gets.
- Rape as Redemption: Averted. When Sae gets put in danger of it as revenge for her putting Momo in the same situation previously, Momo rescues her as soon as she finds out.
- Being rescued for a second time plays it straight, though.
- Second Love: Momo ends up with Kairi instead of her first love, Toji.
- Stalker with a Crush: Sae, repeatedly and to extremes.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo: Momo.
- The Glomp: Toji to Momo sometimes, and Sae to whoever she may like at the moment.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Both Sae and Momo can be one or the other at times.
- Tsundere: Momo again, without a doubt.
- Unwitting Pawn: Toji, then Jigoro.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Sae's favorite tactic; She's even the Trope Namer.
- Wrong Guy First: Sort of. More like Best Guy Last.
- Yandere: Sae, to a certain degree, depending on your view.
- As well as Kairi's trio of Clingy Jealous Girl's.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Momo wears grade A in episode 9.