|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ex-Marine and historian Jack Ryan is on a working vacation with his wife and daughter when he witnesses Irish terrorists attack the Prince and Princess of Wales. Ryan springs into action and kills one terrorist and captures the other. Ryan is hailed as a hero, but soon finds himself a target of the Ulster Liberation Army. In particular, Sean Miller, the terroris he captured.
Tropes Applying to the Book
Tropes Applying to the Film
- Adaptational Villainy: Sean Miller is even crazier and more violent than he is in the book.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: In the book, Miller hated Ryan because he ruined his perfect record of missions. Here, it’s because Ryan killed his brother.
- Adaptational Wimp: Dennis Cooley.
- Death by Adaptation: Highland, Ned Clark, Cooley, and Miller.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Paddy O’Neil is disgusted by the attack on Ryan’s family.
- Face Death with Dignity: Highland, as in the book. Here, however, he doesn’t make it.