|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Mrs. Krabappel: Who can tell me the atomic weight of bolognium?Mrs. Krabappel: Correct. I would also accept "snacktacular."
Martin: Ooh! Delicious?
The periodic table of the elements is one of those mysterious things that everyone sees in science class and almost nobody actually understands, so parodies of it are common. These generally break down into these categories:
- Puts non-elements into locations in the actual Periodic Table, so that their names reference the names of the original elements. Generally, this ignores the actual point of the Periodic Table (namely, the fact that elements are not arbitrarily placed, but placed based on their common characteristics). This may overlap with Elements Do Not Work That Way, and sometimes E=MC Hammer.
- Tables that put new "elements" in columns based on common characteristics. You know, like the real thing. More often than not, these will have a shape unlike the real Periodic Table.
Film -- Animated
- Cars 2 has the Automotive Table of the Elements.
- Earth (The Book) includes in the chapter on Science a "Periodic Table of the Synthetic."
- Science Made Stupid has one here
- For extra humor, read the entries with the Fact Sphere's voice in mind.
- The Science of Discworld has the standard table, except with extra space for narrativium and octium.
- In one of Gary Larson's The Far Side comics, a Caveman creates a periodic table of the elements consisting of:
- Very popular for T-shirts in online stores:
- This poster.
- Uncyclopedia has the Idiotic Table, the Canadian Periodic Table, and the Occasional Table.
- The Periodic Table of Typefaces.
- The Table of Condiments That Periodically Go Bad
- The periodic table of Star Wars elements.
- The Periodic Table of Swearing. NSFW. There's also an interactive version.
- The word table wasn't meant to be taken literally...
- Made of Evil, on this very wiki.
- The Periodic Table of Final Fantasy Characters.
- The Periodic Table of Anime.
- The Periodic Table of Imaginary Elements.
- Homestar Runner has The Periodic Table of Candy Elements.
- The Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense.
- The Periodic Table of Periodic Tables, containing many parodic tables in addition to variations on the real thing.
- The Periodic Table of Awesoments.
- The Periodic Table of Storytelling applies this trope to TV Tropes itself.
- The Periodic Table of Contra Dance.
- The Periodic Table of Atheists.
- The Periodic Table of Baseball Hall of Famers.
- Periodic Table of the [Perl 6 Operators].
- The Periodic Table of Planets, which classes different types of planets, both in our Solar System and out, by size, composition, temperature, and habitability.
- The Periodic Table of Smellements.
- The Simpsons has the Oscar Mayer periodic table (which is mentioned in the page quote) as seen on the season 10 episode, "Lisa Gets An A." Principal Skinner and Superintendent Chalmers are showing Lisa what the basic assistance grant money that she won for the school (by cheating on a test) can do for Springfield Elementary: get them a real tetherball set instead of a cinderblock tied to a bent pole, get them real working computers instead of the ones Gil is trying to sell, and get them real periodic tables instead of ones that were given to them by Oscar-Meyer as part of a promotional stunt.
- Aaahh Real Monsters does it with phobias: Ickis has to go on some quest while the Gromble keeps the class busy by going over a chart of human phobias that's a direct parody of the periodic table.
- The Periodic Table of the Elements of Harmony is a Parodic Table for My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic.