|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A new Paper Mario game set for release in Holiday 2012 on the Nintendo 3DS. From early impressions, the game will be a return to the series' RPG roots, as opposed to Super Paper Mario's platforming-RPG hybrid approach. The game will also make use of the system's 3D effects, as well as adding ability-granting stickers, such as a frog suit used to jump on multiple enemies. Stickers will also be necessary for regular attacks.
- Art Evolution: A mild case. Judging by the trailer, environments seem to be even more paper-y than usual. The characters look pretty much the same, though, although several enemies have been updated to resemble their designs from New Super Mario Bros and onwards.
- The paper-y parts extend to gameplay: one of Mario's special attacks is Scissors.
- The whole game seems to revert to the original's more story-book like presentation and combines it with Super Paper Mario 's graphical fidelity and platforming.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Literally.
- Enemy Mine / My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Some stickers give Mario the ability to summon friendly mooks, like a Koopa to kick into enemies.
- Green Hill Zone: At least one area, shockingly enough.
- Lethal Lava Land
- The Monolith: One gameplay segment shows a giant paper electric fan slowly rise up and blow away a large stack of goombas as a Suspiciously Similar Song version of Also Sprach Zarathustra plays.
- Scenery Porn: It's Paper Mario in 3D. This is inevitable.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World
- Third Is 3D: Depending on whether you consider Super Paper Mario part of the main series or a Spin-Off.